First fox, have ?'s

1moreblackgt

Mar 14, 2003
murfreesboro tn
Well I just bought my first 5.0 mustang and I have a few questions about the motor. It is a gt40p with trick flow street intake and 2000 cam, pro m mass air, kirban adj. fpr, 70mm tb with 70mm egr spacer, 1 5/8 longtubes, o/r h, some type of springs for the heads, 255 lph fuel pump, underdrive pulleys and bbk cai. The car is pretty sweet, it is an 88 lx vert in very good condition. It has alot of other stuff as well, 373 rear, world class t5, full suspension setup and so on. What kind of power is this thing going to make?

• Sponsors (?)

The car feels pretty strong, doesnt really come alive until about 3500 rpm though. Any suggestions about the heads? Should I have them worked or just start with a new set. I am new to this 5.0 thing so any suggestions are appreciated.

1moreblackgt said:
The car feels pretty strong, doesnt really come alive until about 3500 rpm though. Any suggestions about the heads? Should I have them worked or just start with a new set. I am new to this 5.0 thing so any suggestions are appreciated.

that rpm seems to be the natural powerband for them. i personally will be using trickflow when i build, but mine is garaged except for at playtime. so i want more power. if you drive it everyday you may want to downplay some and just use ported heads. really differs driver to driver. what are your plans for the car? that should be the starting point to decide its future.

you can buy a new set of twisted wedge for around $1000. my opinion, since they are used and you would still need valves, springs etc. you would start getting close to the new price. it should save you some. you would also probably want to have the shop mill them, so thats even more $. i am like you, i will sacrifice some drivability for power, after all if i wanted a smooth ride, i would have bought a Buick.

Yeah, it's a big difference going from the 03 to the 88. I think I might try and leave the fox alone for a little while, at least until I get my cobra sold. I hate that I have to sell it but I am buying a house. I think I will learn to love the 88 just as much though, hell of alot cheaper to work on to.

NOT THE 03' COBRA!!!
Aw man I don't know how you can get rid of a piece of machinery like that :(

Yes the GT40-P heads are choking the power off BUT they are a heck of an improvement over the stock E7TE heads now are they not?

For heads, Trick flow's twisted wedge are a popular product. They are unusual so other things may or may not be needed to be matched for them (like pistons, head gaskets, ect.). Edelbrock is also another solid performer and have been around a long time. Your potential in the setup is really there and your setup is nice and an easy given at that: get heads with bigger valves and better flow numbers and the rest of your present equipment will really help it come alive!

Yeah, I think from what I have been able to research so far the twisted wedge heads are the way that I am going to go. I am eager to see what I can do with this thing but I really need to get a plan laid out before I make any big decisions. I am really not comfortable enough with my knowledge of the pushrod motors to just dive in head first right now so it will take some time. At least I have a great internet community to consult with though, I really appreciate the help!