FR500s on my 73 mach 1 plus pics

mach1one

Boulevard Bruiser
Founding Member
Oct 30, 2001
Living in the past
Got them in the other day, 315s in the rear. I need to put longer wheel studs on, and the front hub needs a little massaging for the center cap to go on. Other than that fitment is inside the wheelwell, but I might have to roll the fender once I get it on the road. I'll have finished pictures in a couple days.

:D

Attachments

• car.jpg
    car.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 420
  • Sponsors (?)

Doh! I forgot to look at the tire size before I left. I can't remember the ratio but it's 275s in the front and 315s in the back.

Of course I'm going to leave the drums back there. They work so well and look so good, that, uh, yeah I'm going to swap them out soon hopefully :lol:

I got the fronts off ready to put new studs in, and I ran across a problem. The OEM studs have a small gap before the knurl starts, where as the studs I bought have the knurl at the top of the stud. I found these part numbers in another thread, however the total length of the stud needs to be 3" with the same top. Anyone have a lead on who carries those? Most styles I've seen the knurl starts at the very top.

65-73 Rear Drum, 1/2-20 x 1 9/16" ... 1107-1 $1.25,
72-73 Front Disk, 1/2-20 x 2 3/16" ... 1107-7 $2.40

Thanks.

Well that was an ordeal. Couple things worth noting.

I couldn't find longer studs that had knurls long enough to go throug the stock hub/rotor. After some research and desire to ditch these crappy brakes I bought the wilwood brake kit. The kit bolted up great, it's very nice. The spindle put up a fight since bolts snapped off on each side, and the bolt holes had to be drilled out/re-tapped for the brake kit.

One perk is the previous owner ran braided lines so it took little work to adapt it to work to the new calipers.

I also need to buy an adapter to make the e-brake work.

The front UCA are rubbing so I need to grind them down a little bit. The fronts are 275/35/17s and 315/35s/17s in the back. The back I overkilled it by getting 3" studs and had the axles machined to accept bigger studs. 2" would have been fine.

The back fits fine. It took a bit of massaging the wheel one where fitment was tight. I've yet to drive it so I don't know how bad they rub. The previous owner also put air shocks in the back so I can hopefully avoid it by firming up the ride.

Some pics.

Attachments

• mach1.jpg
    mach1.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 210
  • mach12.jpg
    mach12.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 268
I gotta laugh, but in a good way, that you couldn't find $20-$30 worth of wheel studs that would work, so you spent a couple thou on new brakes. The funny part is that it makes perfect sense to me, and probably to everyone else on here.

BTW, the wheel-brake-tire combo looks awesome. I'm always saying to anyone who will listen that the big Stangs look great lowered with fat tires. You still need to take care of the lowering part, tho. (Here's my car, with some similar looking wheels, before I lowered it another inch)

resized_5.jpg

Looks very nice, I was able to get 315's on the back of mine with rolling the lips. I just wish I could get 275's on the front so that the look will be balanced. Post up more pics once the car is on the ground. :nice:

If you switch to the '73 lower valence you will have room to run 275's in front. Mine has 245/60/15's in the front and they never rubbed with the '73 valence. I put on the '71 valence, got a little tire rubbing when turning.

The front brakes weren't too bad, 650$ shipped. I went ahead and bite the bullet and ordered back ones since drums wouldn't look right behind the wheels.

And on the front studs, I drove all over town and looked in every catalog for a knurl that would go through the hub & far enough into the rotor. Couldn't find it. Maybe I missed it, but it was a good enough excuse to buy new brakes :) The rear studs I bought and had pressed in; they worked fine.

I am a little behind the times. But you got another mach? or is it the one that burned up? Did yours burn up?

anyways, it looks good. I really need to get mine up and running.

The previous mach burned up.

My wife had a 99 t/a that she bought be we were married. We recently tried to sell it but the car was totalled in the process. Some guy smacked it while it was parked near a road. So enter another 73 mach 1 :D I'm not sure what happened to the previous one. My family had a lot of problems around the car and after much bickering it was time to move on.

The previous mach burned up.

My wife had a 99 t/a that she bought be we were married. We recently tried to sell it but the car was totalled in the process. Some guy smacked it while it was parked near a road. So enter another 73 mach 1 :D I'm not sure what happened to the previous one. My family had a lot of problems around the car and after much bickering it was time to move on.
ahh, I remember when it burned, then you either went onto a late model, or said phoey with the classics all together.

Glad to drag you back to the dregs :D