front disc brake conversion kit

jac

May 20, 2019
memphis NY
I am looking to convert my 65 mustang 289 automatic's drum brakes to front disc brakes. There are many options out there with many different price ranges. Can anyone recommend a good kit?

• Sponsors (?)

rbohm

SN Certified Technician
Apr 12, 2002
tucson,az
the factory style kelsy-hayes four piston caliper kits are good ones, and in expensive these days. opentracker racing and chockostang both have kits available a reasonable prices, and great customer service after the sale. national parts depot also has these kits at reasonable prices and great customer service as well.

Cool Beans

Aug 2, 2014
I have the used Power disk brakes on my car listed for sale in the classifieds. Based on the Granada brake swap I think...

DBegley

Jun 24, 2017
Wilwood has a classic fit 4 piston setup. I put these on the front of my 68 Shelby GT 350. Figured if Shelby American is replacing the stock Ford discs with Wilwood, that is good enough for me. And price wise those were similarly priced to the KH knockoffs. Huge improvement over the original Kelsey Hayes single piston on the car. And they look great. The bolts on the spindle are sized to replace a drum brake set up. Had to drill out and tap my stock disc brake spindles. Apparently all these disc brake kits are for drum brake up grades. That was the only issue we ran into. The Wilwoods fit very nicely in 15" Shelby ten spoke rims. Actually a bit smaller than the KH I took off. If I recall Wilwood said those classic fits discs will fit a 14" rim. Bought the Wilwoods through CJ Pony. I attached 2 pictures. The first image is one of the KH knockoffs the shop was putting on a 66 Mustang next to mine. Forget which repro. The second pic is my car with my Wilwoods. Both of us owners acquired the brakes and took them to this shop for installation. Shop owner had my car in and out long before he finished the other two classic Mustangs he had in his shop. And both were there before I brought my car to him. He told me neither of those other kits was a simple bolt on like my Wilwoods were. He has to customize the installation. The other two Mustangs had two different KH reproductions

Attachments

rbohm

SN Certified Technician
Apr 12, 2002
tucson,az
jac, one more thing to consider, if you are willing to step up to a 17 or 18 inch wheel, then mustang steve has brackets available to use the larger 13" or 13.2" brakes used on later model mustangs. the brackets are reasonably prices, and the parts are readily available, and everything bolts to your stock spindles.

MollyMustang67

May 20, 2019
Florida
I am looking to convert my 65 mustang 289 automatic's drum brakes to front disc brakes. There are many options out there with many different price ranges. Can anyone recommend a good kit?
I did just that front power disc brake kit from SSBC perfect. Stay away from Chokotang poor quality parts and when they fail you have to send back at your expense. Never heard of such a thing send back defective parts at the buyers expense.

rbohm

SN Certified Technician
Apr 12, 2002
tucson,az
I did just that front power disc brake kit from SSBC perfect. Stay away from Chokotang poor quality parts and when they fail you have to send back at your expense. Never heard of such a thing send back defective parts at the buyers expense.
you are teh first i have ever heard of having issues with chockostang