Front Drum-Disk Update: Best Place to Buy

abnovak

Jul 21, 2002
Thinking seriously about upgrading front brakes from drum to disk on my '66 cnvrt. Has an I6 with 4 bolt hubs but I dont think that's a prob other than replacing rims right?

Any recommendations on supplier or kits? Not looking for performance grade, just more safety. Want to spend less than $1000 and the least, the better.

• Sponsors (?)

I'm confused. You want to go to discs without changing to five lug?

If you are looking to save money, freshening your four lug drum brakes would be far less expensive than converting to discs. They really work quite well if in good condition.

if you want to go cheap, thats definately the way to go. Other options are a Wilwood kit which is right around $650. SSBC also has a kit but its more like $1100. I would just do a wilwood setup. It uses your stock spindles and everything bolts up. If you look at a granada swap, the prices to rebuild everything and get new rotors and stuff can get expensive. There is a site (forgot where) about doing granada swaps and I believe he spent $450 on all new parts for the swap. Basically he uses the spindles, dust sheilds and caliper (but rebuilds them). For a couple hundred more dollars, I would rather have a more performance oriented setup.

xoxbxfx said:
if you want to go cheap, thats definately the way to go. Other options are a Wilwood kit which is right around $650. .
This definitely sounds interesting. I checked there website and found no reference to any mustang older than 87 I think and that was listed as disc/drum. Am I missing something? I would LOVE to convert my front drums to discs for around 650 ?!?!!?

You can do the Granada swap a lot cheaper sometimes too, I've bought several sets in the last year that had excellent rotors and pads with them. I've got a set listed in the classifieds here right now that have excellent rotors that should be good for a few years service.

To answer SuperDave - no, I realize I will probably have to upgrade to a 5 bolt hub. I was just thinking that other than the brake kit, I would have to obviously upgrade the rims too. But, I dont know if there is anything else, doesn't seem so but don't know.

Is there any difference between the spindles on the 4 bolt I6 vs the 5 bolt V8?

Yes, there's a difference from drum 4 lug spindles to disc 5 lugs. You can't bolt the discs onto the drum spindles. The spindles are however a bolt on swap provided you use the correct parts.You should upgrade the complete front suspension as you do the swap. Upper A arms, lower arm, spring saddles, springs, tie rods, etc.

D.Hearne said:
You can do the Granada swap a lot cheaper sometimes too, I've bought several sets in the last year that had excellent rotors and pads with them. I've got a set listed in the classifieds here right now that have excellent rotors that should be good for a few years service.

do you still have those?