Front Pads Replaced

99 ATI Cobra

Nov 3, 2003
I recently had a problem with the front pads on my 99 Cobra. The anti rattle cup springs were getting loose and one came completely off. After checking every part store and Ford Parts I couldn't find any replacement hardware. Come to find out the cups are made on the pads and Ford wanted over $200.00 for a new set. I started checking around other places and found a set of semi metallic pads at Advance Auto Parts for $19.98 plus tax. These didn't show up on their parts book for a 99 but the 2001 Cobra part number seems to be an exact replacement. They seem to have better grip than the pads that were on it. Has anyone had any bad experiences with semi metallic pads (worn rotors, fade, or grabbing when wet)?

• Sponsors (?)

99 ATI Cobra said:
I recently had a problem with the front pads on my 99 Cobra. The anti rattle cup springs were getting loose and one came completely off. After checking every part store and Ford Parts I couldn't find any replacement hardware. Come to find out the cups are made on the pads and Ford wanted over $200.00 for a new set. I started checking around other places and found a set of semi metallic pads at Advance Auto Parts for $19.98 plus tax. These didn't show up on their parts book for a 99 but the 2001 Cobra part number seems to be an exact replacement. They seem to have better grip than the pads that were on it. Has anyone had any bad experiences with semi metallic pads (worn rotors, fade, or grabbing when wet)?

Why spend just $19.98 for souch of important part (if not the most important) of the car, specialy when you have a SC.

They may work but I'll NOT put them on my Cobra.

I run SBS (Scandavinian (SP?) Brake Systems) Pro-Touring Pads (Ceramic) about $125.00 and Brembo Slotted Rotors and I can tell you that they are the BEST MOD I have done to the car period.

As you may know, I'm stationed in Germany and the speeds in the Autobahn are way higher than the one on the USA and they stock pads just fades severly after 2-3 decelerations from 120MPH to 80-70MPH in a row (which happend offen). These SBS pads just keep doing it over and over again and the initial bite is just off the hook (like my son will say), pedal feel is nothing but superb and is just solid and consistance.

Just my .02

Naz

I run Semi-Metallic pads from Autozone. They run about $35 and have a lifetime warranty. I wore out a set already, just brought them in, and got a new set for free.

They bite pretty hard, but after a couple of panic stops they start to fade. I'm saying like 135--->0 stops. The fade is slight, but enough to know it started. I'm very satisfied with them and they dont chew up my rotors nearly as bad as the Carbon Metallics did.

Matt

isdnmatt said:
I run Semi-Metallic pads from Autozone. They run about $35 and have a lifetime warranty. I wore out a set already, just brought them in, and got a new set for free.

They bite pretty hard, but after a couple of panic stops they start to fade. I'm saying like 135--->0 stops. The fade is slight, but enough to know it started. I'm very satisfied with them and they dont chew up my rotors nearly as bad as the Carbon Metallics did.

Matt

I just couldnt stand the noise the others were making. Sounded like the caliapers were going to fall off. These seem to work fine for now. Low speed stopping power seems to be a lot better actually. I don't drive it hard and just cruise to work mostly. Ocassionally take it to the dragstrip.
These also have a lifetime warranty.