Fuel Leak Above Pass. Side Rear Tire

atey950

Founding Member
Aug 5, 1999
Southeastern PA
Car has sat for about a year and went to start it yesterday. I noticed strong fuel odor so I shut it off and walked around and found that gas had leaked from above the pass. side rear tire. I didn't remove the tire yet to get a good look but does anyone know what this could be?

Surely a rotted or rusted line that needs to be replaced. Hoping I can access it by removing the tire and not have to drop the tank. I'm assuming it's a return line because the car did start and idle for a short time before I turned it off.

• Sponsors (?)

If its dripping on the floor only when the key is on, it is probably one of the fuel lines. Be careful, the fuel lines and the exhaust are in very close proximity right behind the axle. Very dangerous place to have a fuel leak.

My lines and exhaust got together right there while I was on a road course racing my SSC about 5 years ago. Burnt a hole in both lines. Luckily one of the track safety workers saw gas pouring from my car when I passed and I was black flagged.
I was lucky it didnt catch fire.

My return line was rotted out when I bought my car. But the donut seal is definitely the first thing to look at. If you find yourself replacing the seal, lube the new seal up so the filler neck won't mess up the new seal. I used white lithium grease.

hard to say since the gauge in a fox works about as well as a guy on unemployment... if its above the seal yes it will leak.. if its below the seal it will only leak when your going around a left hand turn

I am almost 100% certain you have to drop your tank to replace the donut seal because the seal goes around the filler neck base which is a good 8 inches in the tank. I had to drop my tank this summer to put in a larger fuel pump and I had to lower the tank before I could get the filler neck out if the tank and it was a pain in the ass getting it out. You don't have to drop the tank completely but you definitely have to undo the straps to get the neck out to replace the donut

I am almost 100% certain you have to drop your tank to replace the donut seal because the seal goes around the filler neck base which is a good 8 inches in the tank. I had to drop my tank this summer to put in a larger fuel pump and I had to lower the tank before I could get the filler neck out if the tank and it was a pain in the ass getting it out. You don't have to drop the tank completely but you definitely have to undo the straps to get the neck out to replace the donut
Nope.. It can be done with tank not touched.. Take the wheel off for better access.. Take the bolts out of the top at the gas door, the seal on the bottom and the brace on the tank.. Takes a little wiggling but much easier than dropping tank