Fox Gas tank refurbishment

• Sponsors (?)

9C09FD73-5352-40C4-92D9-BACBAE2BD5B4.jpeg
084A4971-BBF7-4162-8253-EEB297A87BC2.jpeg

It appears I’ve created more work for myself.

Top picture is after 24 hours of Evaporust and rinsing. The bottom picture is this morning, after drying for over 12 hours. Where did I go wrong? Is the green stuff some sort of coating ( such as zinc chromate) that rinsed away with the rust? Was using a power washer inside a bad idea? Either way, it looks like I’m starting over.

I’m considering using Red Kote once I sort this out. Thoughts?

That black square around the sender and pump looks thick enough and is in the right place to be a dampening material. If the other pieces do not prevent metal to metal rubbing, I can see them being more factory Dynamat type material. If you have altered the exhaust system, you probably will not notice any difference without them except when you first turn on the key and listen to make sure the fuel pump primes.

9C09FD73-5352-40C4-92D9-BACBAE2BD5B4.jpeg
084A4971-BBF7-4162-8253-EEB297A87BC2.jpeg

It appears I’ve created more work for myself.

Top picture is after 24 hours of Evaporust and rinsing. The bottom picture is this morning, after drying for over 12 hours. Where did I go wrong? Is the green stuff some sort of coating ( such as zinc chromate) that rinsed away with the rust? Was using a power washer inside a bad idea? Either way, it looks like I’m starting over.

I’m considering using Red Kote once I sort this out. Thoughts?
you would have had to put a protective oil coating or something after rinsing.... it flash rusted... I bought some 94-95 fuel rails to use on mine... had some surface rust inside them... I soaked them for weeks in that evap-o-rust... worked great... I rinsed them with hot water in the sink.. then I blew dry with air, then I spray brake cleaner in them.. and blew dry again... then I sprayed engine fogger in them (what I had for my motor)... which got them nice and oily, then I wrapped them up and put on shelf for when I get ready to install them... they come out damn good...

I would just buy a new tank, think there like 100-125 $.

I had the tape when I just redid my tank in my ‘86. It seemed all it was doing was holding that plastic cover. I had no difficulty installing it without the tape, so maybe just something used on the assembly line?

Seems plausible. Maybe not even so much of an aid for install as just a way to keep the parts from being separated so they could quickly grab them as the car rolled through.

Reactions: 1 user
So, after much internal debate, I decided to have the old tank refurbished by the place I mentioned in the OP. I would much rather have piece of mind ( and a lifetime warranty) of a pro shop doing the work than myself mucking about with POR or Red Kote it and still not getting it right. I know a new tank is much, much cheaper, but there’s no way it’s the same quality as the OE one. I’ve saved a great deal doing much of this car myself so far, but I know my limits and level of patience.

That this place is within an easy drive rather than shipping made it a bit easier of a decision. Plus, supporting small business, not buying a gas tank made overseas, etc, etc. I opened the hatch to my minivan at the shop and the guy knew it was a Fox body Mustang tank before I told him. “We’ve done a few of these”. Well, here’s to one more and hoping I never have to drop the tank again.

Reactions: 1 users
64D28161-DC00-4270-B171-8B9FA7D6EE33.jpeg

Picked up my tank from the refurbishment shop today. It is coated inside and out in a super thick coating that was baked on. It’s not the prettiest thing, but since it lives under the car in its cover, I don’t really care, just throwing it out there for those who find this thread. If I was building a show car, I’d care. But if this is the last time I have to see it in the cars life, that’s fine by me.

Reactions: 1 users
Refurbed tank already to go back in with new pump, sending unit, filler gasket and pads.

One question:.The new fuel pump came with the lock ring gasket and another gasket, but I don’t know where it goes, if it goes anywhere. Between pump hanger and tank? It won’t fit between the lock ring and pump.

I only remember taking the lock ring gasket out. Is it for a different application and just in the box?

Edit: Checking the service manual, it only shows the lock ring gasket, but any additional input before I lock it all down and cram it back in the car is helpful.
C3C44248-8042-4EB1-8D97-1D0B38A210CC.jpeg
BABF8E8C-6B54-40C0-B567-B64C3DFA49CC.jpeg

Last edited: