getting an MSD 6AL

• Sponsors (?)

I was told by many that our cars have pretty good ignition systems from the factory. I asked the same question to a crane rep about their boxes a while back and he told me that I wouldn't feel much of a difference with my 331 combo. Unless you have a blown or sprayed combo i don't believe they will produce too much of a difference in power. They are always nice looking under the hood though. :nice:

Aren't you glad you found out before laying down the cash for a mod that would not produce noticeable results :nice:

Thats the prob with a lot of mods :(

Very Small or "NO" gain for so much spent :notnice:

Grady

hold your horses folks

what will I notice if anything?

Well some on here will tell you no benifit and for the most part it is true per se. But there are other things that you can get from msd that REQUIRE the box that are hella benificial. FOR EXAMPLE, I have the adjustable timing control that REQUIRES the msd 6al box. The adjustable timing control allows me to advance my timing up to 15*, or set it so that i can advance 7.5* or retard 7.5* on the fly, at will, with a knob on my dash. I have the snow performance meth kit and If someone revs on me at the light Ill just dial up to 10*(which is 20* total!), switch on the snow kit, punch the "od off" button, and SMOKE them!!! So dont be a caveman and say "the msd box wont help me so i wont get it" check out the little gadgets that you can get for the box before you decide. Also msd has switch boxes that activate or deactivate what ever you like at ANY rpm. anything from nitrous switches to led lights.

http://www.msdignition.com/

p.s. no im not a msd rep :) and most guys on here that will tell you "its no benifit" HAVE THE BOX THEMSELVES and perhaps an add on or two.

only thing i noticed with mine was large amounts of pinging. no difference when the box was off and no misses up top with what i have now, better cap, rotor, coil, plugs and wires. over 400 rwhp get one

As folks have said, if your car is in good order, the SOTP feeling won't be there much. If you are having an issue or the ignition components are worn, the box can make a difference (but in just the same vein, so would a tune-up).

OK Ok :D

There can be benefits to a better ignition system :nice:

I won't go into all the specific applications :nono:

The original poster has a close to stock Stang :)

I myself, and I believe most others on the site were ..........

trying to prevent him from spending a lot of money
and
then come back on here asking the Q ..........

Where is the power :shrug:

I don't think I'm a Cave Man just cause I run the oem ignition ;)

Heck ... I even got a lap top that will talk to my Stang :D

Grady

OK Ok :D

There can be benefits to a better ignition system :nice:

I won't go into all the specific applications :nono:

The original poster has a close to stock Stang :)

I myself, and I believe most others on the site were ..........

trying to prevent him from spending a lot of money
and
then come back on here asking the Q ..........

Where is the power :shrug:

I don't think I'm a Cave Man just cause I run the oem ignition ;)

Heck ... I even got a lap top that will talk to my Stang :D

Grady

Grady my friend how you doin!!

:D

For everyone.... you need a plan for your car, it will save you money in the long run. Figure out what you want from the car, then ask questions and implement it. A plan could have saved me money I know!!

Pops