going to start the 347 today...have question?

12sec67

Oct 6, 2003
San Diego, Ca
i heard to use some of that lucas additive in with the oil on the first break in procedure.

do you guys think this is a good idea?

also heard - not to use detergent oil... aren't the all detergent oil? :shrug:

thanks

Rich

• Sponsors (?)

Use what oil your engine builder says to use. I would not be using an additive. The break in oil wont be in your engine for long anyway. It should be changed after the first drive.

Heres what I did on my first 347 start.....I used 10w30 oil and on first start I let it get warm(t-stat opens) after about 20 minutes. I let is cool for about an hour. I did it again.....warmed it up(checking for leaks) . after the second time I drained the oil and replaced it with penzoil 10w30. drove it 1000k and changed it again. now I do it every 1500k miles. I did it to get all the assy lube out of it. I used alot of it......The builder also reccomended it. Dont use additive!

12sec67 said:
i heard to use some of that lucas additive in with the oil on the first break in procedure.

do you guys think this is a good idea?

also heard - not to use detergent oil... aren't the all detergent oil? :shrug:

thanks

Rich

5 w 30 regular motor oil, you need something thin, First off you want to prime the motor manualy using a drill before you start it, drive it around, by the time you got 100 miles on it your oil will need replacing, mine actually turned black this last time, change the oil, 5w or 10w 30 drive it for a 1000 miles or so, change it again & you should be perfect.

you need to change the oil after intial startup or about 30 minutes of run time, with 0 miles on it. take it for a quick drive of like 10 miles or so, then come back and change the oil again. i changed my oil like 5 times in the first 150 miles. i know it is over kill, but i used cheap oil since i knew it wouldn't be in there long. plus when draining, it is easy to see through the clean oil rather than dirty oil on a fresh motor when inspecting it. don't forget new filters either.