Guys that have swapped on 13" Cobra brakes!!

1987Rock

May 2, 2007
Ok, I can't get a straight answer anywhere in the searches. I should be picking up a 13" Cobra brake kit with calipers/lines/brackets/hoses/rotors that are slightly used for $275 :banana:

My question is: Do you need to swap the master cylinder?? :shrug: I know the Cobra one is different (I think the bore is smaller for higher line pressure?).

Also, would you recommend putting in a proportioning valve? I'm keeping the stock **edit REAR **GT brakes for now (might upgrade later this summer).

Thanks guys!! :SNSign:

• Sponsors (?)

Ok, I can't get a straight answer anywhere in the searches. I should be picking up a 13" Cobra brake kit with calipers/lines/brackets/hoses/rotors that are slightly used for $275 :banana:

My question is: Do you need to swap the master cylinder?? :shrug: I know the Cobra one is different (I think the bore is smaller for higher line pressure?).

Also, would you recommend putting in a proportioning valve? I'm keeping the stock GT brakes for now (might upgrade later this summer).

no,

and no.

i did the cobra upgrade,only changed the calipers,ect.kept the gt MC and no proportion valve.performs great.also have the rotors turned and install new pads.
Posted via Mobile Device

ok, lemme ask you this. Do you have a soft pedal? Mine's pretty soft as it is so I wonder if it'll get softer with the new brakes?
It may just be my lines getting old, so we'll see after i get the kit on, but I might upgrade to braided stainless lines.

Also, I've heard of guys having a prob with the rear brakes either hardly working or locking up (can't remember which) after this upgrade. I know our cars mainly use the fronts anyway....Anybody ever experience this?

Ok, for guys that have done both, can you tell a difference btw the GT mc w/Cobra brakes and then the Cobra mc w/Cobra brakes?

ok, lemme ask you this. Do you have a soft pedal? Mine's pretty soft as it is so I wonder if it'll get softer with the new brakes?
It may just be my lines getting old, so we'll see after i get the kit on, but I might upgrade to braided stainless lines.

Also, I've heard of guys having a prob with the rear brakes either hardly working or locking up (can't remember which) after this upgrade. I know our cars mainly use the fronts anyway....Anybody ever experience this?

Ok, for guys that have done both, can you tell a difference btw the GT mc w/Cobra brakes and then the Cobra mc w/Cobra brakes?

seems just as firm as before,but i had the duel piston pbrs on before the cobra calipers.cant remember what the stock brakes felt like.

i never heard of the problems with the rears.

Posted via Mobile Device

I used my stock GT master cylinder and my brakes feel much more firm and responsive than they did with the stock single piston calipers. It was definitely a night and day difference. I couldn't imagine there would be any difference in pedal feel at all when doing the rears, since it's the same caliper with a different bracket, to accomidate the larger rotor. If anything, it should help with more surface area to help brake.

I used my stock GT master cylinder and my brakes feel much more firm and responsive than they did with the stock single piston calipers. It was definitely a night and day difference. I couldn't imagine there would be any difference in pedal feel at all when doing the rears, since it's the same caliper with a different bracket, to accomidate the larger rotor. If anything, it should help with more surface area to help brake.

:stupid:

Also, would you recommend putting in a proportioning valve? I'm keeping the stock **edit REAR **GT brakes for now (might upgrade later this summer).

I'm in the same boat and I sourced my front brake kit from a '98 Cobra for just $163. The pads were like new and the rotors only had flash rust that I easily cleaned off.
From what I've read, you can keep the stock GT master cylinder and proportioning valve so that's what I'll be doing.

Attachments

• Cobra brake kit.jpg
    Cobra brake kit.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 352
aight thanks guy! I don't know why the guy's selling them, but it's a great deal for sure! :D

I guess I'll put em on and see and I'll report the differences if any.

I have never done the swap before but i did a quick lookup on autozone to compare the part numbers on the master cylinders between the gt and the cobra. They have different part numbers for the master cyllinder, but the brake booster has the same part number. FYI....good luck with the swap.

I have never done the swap before but i did a quick lookup on autozone to compare the part numbers on the master cylinders between the gt and the cobra. They have different part numbers for the master cyllinder, but the brake booster has the same part number. FYI....good luck with the swap.

Yeah, I looked em up and the GT master has a 1-1/16" bore and the Cobra has a 15/16" bore.

And new brake fluid is definitely on the list cuz mine looks like chocolate milk :nonono:

Well, I've had the Cobra 13" front brake conversion done on my Stang and I can say it's absolutely fantastic. The pedal is firmer, more responsive, and it feels like the Stang can stop on a dime. It certainly inspires more confidence than when it had the stock brakes. This is one mod I'd highly recommend on any SN95 V6 or GT.
I used the rotors, calipers, brackets, hoses, and pads from a '98 Cobra as shown in the pic below:
Cobra_brake_kit.jpg

I also weighed the components and compared them to the stock GT items:

Stock front brake calipers, brackets, lines, & pads: 25lb
'94-'98 Cobra PBR front brake calipers, brackets, lines, & pads: 16lb

Stock 10.8" front brake rotors: 22lb
'94-'98 Cobra 13" front brake rotors: 33lb

Overall there's a tiny 2lb weight gain. If you decide to do a '99-'04 GT PBR front brake caliper conversion instead, there's a 9lb weight saving but the stopping power won't be quite as good.

I bought the Bear 13" which is the same PBR caliper and the kit came with the MC,. So I smoothed and polished it and installed it. Only two bolts and lines. Flushed system with synthetic fluid and added the rear 13" bears too. Car stops very nice :nice:

Well, I'm having a hard time with this guy. I've been trying to meet with him for almost a month now and now he won't even answer my texts or calls. :mad:

I hate it when people don't keep their word. I also went to Prestige Mustangs in Clarkston, Ga looking for a summer job and while I was there he said he would meet that price if the guy didn't work out even if I didn't work there. But yesterday I got a better job offer, so I called him to let him know and see if he was still willing to meet me on the price and he jumped down my throat and said hell no I won't do that! :shrug:

So I guess we'll see how much I make this summer to see if I can buy a new set. I may try MPS since it's close to me and see what they'll sell a used set for.

Can the PBR calipers be rebuilt? Can you get rebuild kits from Oreilly?