Guys with gauges under their radios....in here

the gauges are autometer phantom II and the bezelinthe daytime looks really nice....it matches the sheen of the stock interior so it doesn't stick out it actually looks like it belongs there...ill get some daytime pics up tomorrow I was really impressed with the quality of the gauge plate when I got it.

• Sponsors (?)

the gauges are autometer phantom II and the bezelinthe daytime looks really nice....it matches the sheen of the stock interior so it doesn't stick out it actually looks like it belongs there...ill get some daytime pics up tomorrow I was really impressed with the quality of the gauge plate when I got it.

I like their 2-gauge setup with the switches, but i'd really like to run 3 gauges and 1 switch.

I need somewhere close to mount a small fan switch without drilling into the actual console or dash.

RycCuker that looks good.

You could always go with those custom gauge plates made by gaugeplate.com, and have them put the gauges on top of the radio and the radio at the bottom??

The gauges under the radio doesn't look too bad with the angle rings.

I loved the 3-gauge dash pod that Florida 5.0 had way back when, then as soon as I actually owned a Mustang they stopped making it. That's where 3 extra gauges should be in a 87-93 IMO, almost looks like it could've came on a Saleen or some other special edition stang.

View attachment 258248
IDK how they screwed all that up in the caption box... :shrug:

It does look good, but i don't really want to drill into the dash so i haven't wanted to go that route. I just replaced my cluster pod because when i was a teen i thought it would be cool to have a 5" tach with an AOD! :)

Now with my 5-spd swap, i'm just doing an Autometer pen-style shift light on the column with RPM pills and that's it.

I'm really trying to stay low ley and have a stocking interior, so any gauges or switches are limited to the radio bezel area

I also have the gauge cluster for the top of the dash like LiquidGT posted, just not on the car, but it the one with the 5" tach in it as well. The set that I have mounts brackets with a double sided tape and then the cluster screws to the bracket and I saw an article somewhere upon a time on how to sneak the wires out from behind the cluster with out drilling the dash.

And mob, thanks for the compliment :flag:

Yeah they dont even make that dash pod anymore; with enough ingenuity I'll bet one can install it without drilling into the dash like mentioned. The Ford Racing one with the 5" tach is all you can get now, but I'd rather have three 2" gauges on the dash than one 5" tach.

Just a thought, it would be sick to a shifter bezel with gauges on the right side of the shifter. I sat some gauges on there once and it looked like it should work, even in 5th and R, but I dont have a shift boot and I dont know how much it would get in the way.

in my opinion this set up is the cleanest least intrusive way to do gauges other than pillar mounts

Attachments

• 1242247351520.jpg
    1242247351520.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 203
  • 1242247374063.jpg
    1242247374063.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 212
Bump. Anybody else have anything to add before I order?

Not trying to stop you from ordering, since all of these are just test pieces, but here's a few ideas I've been working on regarding this topic:

245120.jpg

Keeping the factory "bend" is important to me, as the flat panels just don't look correct to me. They're not bad, but something seems off IMHO.

Quite a few friends have track-only cars with no AC/heat, so I threw a few 2 1/16" gauges where the stock control box is located. Did a row of switches down low, pretty much to see what it looked like.

245211.jpg

There's also a center AC vent dual gauge pod I'm working on, but can't seem to find any pics yet. It's a lot like Dave's (mansonozz) custom piece I did long ago. Still trying to figure out a good way to allow airflow, though...

Someone mentioned the gauges on the dash top was their favorite location. I agree with this, and have a custom setup in my fox. Also the radio panel is a home-made one, for my double DIN setup:

radio_area.jpg

Anyone who's decent with tools can bend up some metal to make a nice panel. I cheated a little, using a CNC machine and a plastic bender (everything shown is ABS plastic). :D Lucky to have an ULTIMATE set of tools! :rlaugh:

My personal preference is the vent gauges. They are centrally located adn soo easy to look over, i don't think you are going to be happy with them under the radio...why even install them if they are going to be all the way down there?
I have the autometer 3 gauge vent pannel, very easy to install, vents just pop out, no damage. It's easy then to just runt he wires through the hvac vents. I have a copper line ran from the engine all the way to the dash and no problems. My oil pressure is my main gauge....i even have the autometer oil pressure warning light and sensor installed that sets the light off at under 30 psi. The other gauges are water temp and volt (since i run a 140 alt and duel lectric fans i like to see how it's charging.
The a-pillar gauges are nice, but seem to take over too much. i have my autometer boost gauge mounted in a single 2 5/8th pod.
As for the switches, nothing is better in my opinion than the hide away ashtray switch panel. I am only using 2 of the 4 but the one is my fuelpump relay shutoff and the other is my electric fan.
I'll get you pics when she is out of the shop, but i think my setup maximizes the most important gauge layout.
I also have a 5" shiftlight tach that my import buddies rag on me about....hahaha

I would buy this in a heartbeat!

245120.jpg

Why tuck the most important gauges under the least important accessories....HVAC and Radio :shrug::shrug:

Looks really nice but just not practical, do you see race cars with their oil pressure gauge tucked away under the foldout 7" touch screen that casts a glare on your most important gauges? Kinda like adding an a/f gauge without a wideband sensor :nono: .... Sorry just my .02
I will get off my high horse..hahaha

:hide: -as i hide under my chair :)