Hammer or Hurst auto Shifter for 2003 GT auto?

Red03Mustang

Apr 26, 2004
Does anyone know if there is a shifter available for a 2003 GT auto?

If so, how do they work exactly? Is the care dependent on that mode of shifting from then on after the install, or can it still be placed in Drive and driven normally, but put into a "manual shift" mode by notching the shift lever into a certain slot, like some stock vehicles are now with "sport shifters" and things of that nature?

I had a 2002 Prelude, and it was an auto with this Sport Shift feature, where I could notch the lever to one side and bump-shift it up and down to change gears. Is this how a Hammer, Hurst, or B&M shifter would work?

Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

I think you need to mod your 4r70w trans if you want to accomplish this. I think its called the valve body or something. I dont think just the aftermarket shifter alone would give you the results your looking for. Have seen some aftermarket shifters in a auto stang and they do look nice if nothinig else. So I know the mod is possible.

You can put the shifter in with stock trans, and you even reuse the stock shifter cable. I have a B&M hammer. It only has ratchet mode however, so I have to ratchet through the gears which sometimes gets annoying.

To have an aftermarket auto shifter, you need to understand that this does NOTHING to the performance of the car.

There is a small lever on the side of the transmission, attached to that is a steel, sleeved cable (like a bicycle brake cable). This only alters how that 1 cable moves in and out. As that cable pulls in, or pushes out, it moves the lever to another position on the transmission.

The stock shifter is simply attached to a cable that slides in/out as you push the shifter forward/back... A ratchet shifter can be pushed downward as it pulls the cable, and it will then release the cable and spring back to its original center position, however the cable will be moved.. Repeat forward/back to slide the cable in increments(ratchets)..

Hope that makes sence.

Many shifters have gate mode AND ratchet mode. Gate mode is the stock-style operation of sliding straight through gears.

B&M hammer w/ hurst handle:
attachment.php

Attachments

• incar003.jpg
    incar003.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 364
triggz said:
The stock shifter is simply attached to a cable that slides in/out as you push the shifter forward/back... A ratchet shifter can be pushed downward as it pulls the cable, and it will then release the cable and spring back to its original center position, however the cable will be moved.. Repeat forward/back to slide the cable in increments(ratchets)..

Hope that makes sence.

Many shifters have gate mode AND ratchet mode. Gate mode is the stock-style operation of sliding straight through gears.

Thanks! That looks pretty cool. Did the shifter you bought with yours come with a big plastic base? I assume you just don't use that, because yours looks good in the stock casing. I bought one, but didn't think it would work, and returned it. Maybe it would have worked after all.

just get the mgw handle / od button setup and spend the rest of the $$ you would of blown on the hammer shifter for a big tranny cooler.. cause if you're gonna start jammin the auto shifts yourself, you better have a cooler on it.

shifter1.jpg

I have a B&M Hammer shifter. I also have a PA fully manual transbrake valve body. With this valve body, I have to shift manually from 1st to 2nd to 3rd to OD. The tranny will no longer shift automatically. I got the Hammer shifter to prevent accidently shifting from 1st to 3rd at the track. It works great with the manual valve body. I'm not sure I would want it with a stock valve body. It would really serve no useful purpose.

Attachments

• pic_0115.jpg
    pic_0115.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 162
The shifter has a formed plastic base to replace the stock PRND21 plate, the trim piece around the shifter fits around it like stock..

The handle is standard threaded like any manual shifter, so you can put any handle you want on it. Whatever you buy will come with assorted fittings too to make sure it fits.

CobraM23 said:
Hey Triggz did you need to do any modifications to use the Hurst Handle? Reason I ask is because Ive got a Hammer shifter on order and dont really like the handle it comes with.

I didnt think Id like mine either, but when I got it I changed my mind. It fits your hand well and looks pretty good (chrome) just keeping finger prints off is a pain in the @%*. :D

98blackmagic said:
I didnt think Id like mine either, but when I got it I changed my mind. It fits your hand well and looks pretty good (chrome) just keeping finger prints off is a pain in the @%*. :D

Yeah I dont like the chrome for that exact reason and I didnt want it too really stand out in the interior. I was thinking of going with a pistol grip shifter painted flat black or something like that to go along with my interior.

Pertums said:
just get the mgw handle / od button setup and spend the rest of the $$ you would of blown on the hammer shifter for a big tranny cooler.. cause if you're gonna start jammin the auto shifts yourself, you better have a cooler on it.QUOTE]

Too bad MGW doesn't have the auto handle anymore... I really liked it. Had to settle for a simliar handle from upr but it doesnt have the pony logo engraved on it and in the process I busted my overdrive button with there crap instructions

04YELLOWGT said:
So I'm a little confused. Do you have to shift it all the time then or can you choose when you want to?

You can just put the shifter in the drive position, or you can ratchet thru the gears from first, second, and drive. The ratchet deal is neat to play with when the shifter is first installed, but after a couple days you get use to it and just put it in D and go. The ratchet action means you can just push forward on the shifter it goes up then comes back to the next gear from where you were when you first shifted. Its really cool, but like I said it gets old and is just another part of your car. Better than stock none the less.:nice:

donyw said:
I looked into getting one, and according to the B&M website they only fit up to 00 Mustangs. I called and asked if there was a conversion kit and was told no.
Sounds like it would be pretty cool, and add a little more driving fun.

Uhhh, do you mean up to the 2000 year model? I dont understand that, is there something on the 01 and newer cars that would make it not work? I am not aware of any thing diffrent on them. :shrug:

It takes awhile, one of my buddies that is a mechanic helped me install mine. Well, basically he did it and I watched, lol :D. No really, we worked on it together and it was tedious. You have to loosen the console and lift it up a few inches, then you really need to get the car on a lift (which he has) to disconnect the shifter linkage and then reinstall the new linkage. I probably couldn't have done it myself and I've done most of my own work (trans cooler, plenum, TB, intake, catback, etc) Just me though. Good luck! I do love it though!!!!