Have lowering springs? Who did it

89StangGT50

Founding Member
Sep 25, 2001
TX
Im about to buy a set, still deciding on either the Ford Racing or Steeda springs, I only want a 1" drop.

I dont mess with spring compressors so Im not gonna do it myself. Who installed yours and how much did you pay?

Ford dealer wants over $500.

Another shop in the area wants ~$380.

Im in NJ, so PA, NJ, DE, NY are preferred if you have any recommendations.

• Sponsors (?)

I had Watertown Ford/Chrysler install ALL my parts. I feel they are one of the best in the country. Customer support is TOP notch.

They installed my GT500 mounts, shocks and struts, eibach springs. BMR swaybars, UCA, LCA's and mudflaps.

That job cost me $300.

They did my borla full exhaust, cost me $200

had them order my rims and tires, the package cost $2,800 and they did not charge me for installing them or balancing, or the alignment for that matter.

I will take my car to them for ALL my work, 100% satisfied with them.

The owner owns 3 GT500's himself, all over 700 HP. He has a bunch on the shop. The town was having a parade and the public hastled him so much that he took this brand new GT500 and burned the tires so bad they needed to be replaced, as did the clutch. He is a huge mustang fanatic, they have brand new GT's with body kits, wicked paint jobs. Pretty interesting!

I trust no podink little shops. But I am picky.

There is some numbers for you although, thats what you were looking for.

Good luck bud.

I know, springs compressors look pretty scary, especially when you have a good understanding of the huge forces they are compressing.

But.

I "rented" some spring compressors from AutoZone for free. You give them a 50 deposit, and they give it back to you when your done. Once I worked with the spring compressor, it was less concerning. There is really no way the thing is going to get away from you.

In regard to the springs, I say go with Steeda. I did and I could not be happier. (I also have the Steeda Dampers and roll bars) I have read a number of boards in researching suspension and I have come across some negative reviews of the FRPP springs. Its all very similar really --probably hard to tell the difference unless your a racer. I think the real difference in the dampers. If you went with FRPP springs, you would eventually want FRPP dampers, (or some adjustable), and there are better dampers out there for the price. FRPP tends to be the most expensive because they have the name and are installed by dealers. Point is, if your starting to mod the suspension, you may want to plan for future mods and stick with the same company so you dont have an almalgamation suspension system that does not work well together. If that is your plan, your better off sticking to Steeda. (IMHO)

I rented (more like borrowed since I got the deposit back) the spring compressors from Autozone and I did the job with a friend in an afternoon for the cost of a meal.

So far I had my hand in all the mods installed.

I did my eibach pro kit. Rented a spring compressor from autozone for free. Got the springs for 100. Worked out great. Put in some new eibach camber bolts for 20. It was then 30 for a front end alignment. I don't trust anyone but my friend to work on my car. I also dis my 4.10 gears.

I put shocks and springs all the way around on my car a few days ago. It is really not all that difficult to do yourself. I worked in the driveway and it took about 3.5 - 4 hours all together working by myself. Spring compressors are nothing to be afraid of as long as you use some common sense and work safely. My compressor is an inexpensive Harbor Freight tool that cost around $12 I think and worked fine. I have had the fronts off 3 times all together now and the the rears twice.

I had Watertown Ford/Chrysler install ALL my parts. I feel they are one of the best in the country. Customer support is TOP notch.

They installed my GT500 mounts, shocks and struts, eibach springs. BMR swaybars, UCA, LCA's and mudflaps.

That job cost me $300.

They did my borla full exhaust, cost me $200

had them order my rims and tires, the package cost $2,800 and they did not charge me for installing them or balancing, or the alignment for that matter.

that is dirt cheap, especially for a dealer!!! Canadian pricing is a whole nother ball game :(

I did my springs WITHOUT a spring compressor. Just put the strut inside a big cardboard box, get your impact wrench out and take off the camber cap. Just make sure your hands aren't in the way when that thing blows apart. It was fun to say the least. Then the new springs are so short, you can just bolt up the cap without having to compress the spring. Anyway, my entire lowering spring installation cost me nothing.

here are some techniques I found while doing research.

okay, this guy got lucky:

Fast forward to the 1:00 minute mark:

In any event, a strut compressor is free so... cost benefit analysis...

I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR INJURY AND DEATH CAUSED BY READING THIS POST.