Header Choice...

PhLoBuS

Aug 15, 2004
Beverly, MA
I want to get a set of headers where I will get some HP out of but especially add some more sound to my stanG. What would you guys suggest? I was aiming towards MAC but let me know what you guys think. :shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

I hear Hookers get the most power out.BBK's seem to be popular to.Haven't heard to much about MAC long tubes,shorties I hear are o.k.FRPP also makes some nice shorties if thats what you want.If it were my I would buy BBK it seem to be a high quality part for a decent price.Hooker wants to much (IMO) for painted headers that turn brown in minutes.For the price of the painted Hookers you can almost get ceramic coated BBK's.

I have Mac 1 5/8 Equal Length Headers on mine...and don't have any problems with them...they don't look "pretty" but they get the job done and the price is good to :nice:

If you get shorties you need a h/x-pipe made for shorties if you want to put a h/x-pipe on later.Shorties made good power after peak torque while long tubes make good power up to peak torque.In other words, shorties will pull harder on the top than long tubes.

donsbad68 said:
Mac sucks, terrible quality, I run BBK's have liked them so far, my Mac's rusted all the way through.

I have had Mac Products on two different vehicles (93 & 2000) and haven't had a problem with either one...dont' make that assumption...that company wouldn't be in business if they were that bad...people buy them because there affordable and get the job done...just because they don't look good means there of poor quality? Buy some coating if you don't want them to rust...and save money...

Yeah I have MAC 13/4" longtubes, had them ceramic coated... awesome low-end torque gains, kickass sound - don't know where people get this 'MAC sucks' idea. All tubular steel will rust through if you don't take care of it. This should be common sense. MAC sounds better than anything on the market and they cost less. My entire exhaust is MAC (longtubes to prochamber to dumps) and I've had nothing but compliments on the sound and faith in its expected longevity. I understand the rants, though - everyone is entitled to their OPINION, and opinions are like buttholes. Everyone's got their own.

How 'bout some tubes dude...

Since you don't have a midpipe yet (or it isn't in your sig) with most headers you will most likley loose overall power. It will sound better, but not really. Let me make the longtube with a shortie mid-pipe. You will pick up about the same top end if not a little more as good shorties but will gain a good amount of tq instead of loosing it.

I run BBK 1 5/8ths longtube header (regular chrome) ($230-$240)
O/R 2.5" H pipe ($110-120)
2ch flowmasters w/o tailpipes.

I like it, has that bark to it, that kind of bark when a dog is sinking it's teeth in someone' leg kind of bark. :nice: I love it.

PhLoBuS said:
whats the difference of equal and unequal? besides the length of the pipes of course
Equal length headers are not worth it. The very most you might see 1 to 2 FT.lbs at certain RPM's. Not worth the trouble installing them and changing plugs more of a hassle.
I would go with FRPP shorties all the way. Lifetime warranty "Jet Hot" coated stainless steel with a solid 1 piece flange. Buy them once and forget about it.
397M9430P51.jpg

Attachments

• 397M9430P51.jpg
    397M9430P51.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 56