Headers vs. manifolds

carguysx2

Jan 9, 2011
Hey folks! Our recently acquired 66 coupe has what is reportedly a newly rebuilt (5 yrs ago, but not run in 4 yrs) 302 installed. Just picked up the presumed orig 289 block and heads. The car now has headers on it, but do not like the low hang-down look and am contemplating going back to stock exhaust manifolds. The old 289 has only one manifold on it. Question: if we can locate another manifold for the missing side of the 289, will they fit the 302, or do we need to find 302 stock manifolds? Thanks in advance!

• Sponsors (?)

I wish you'd told me that before I'd done it a couple times. :)

Just run a 1/4" steel tube from the choke down toward the exhaust in the usual manner, but slightly longer, and band-clamped parallel to the RH exhaust pipe a few inches. Works perfectly.

351 W manifolds are also a good choice for the early 289/302 engines as well. They breathe better than the cast iron logs that come stock on either motor!

If you have powersteering, you will have to reroute the hoses to/from the pump, beacuse the driver side 351W is much larger than 289/302 stock.

I've always just had custom duals installed--never used a 'kit' like you mail order. It hasn't been anymore or less expensive using headers and duals or stock manifolds and duals.. The choice of pipe diameter or mufflers has been the deciding factor. I had 2 1/2 in pipe with "H" and glass packs put on my 67 for 400.00 bucks..

I have had both the log style and the hipo manifolds, and could not tell any difference at all, from the drivers seat. My car ran suprisingly well with the log style, never burned any plug wires, and never had any leaks.

The downside to using 351W manifolds is there's no exhaust system made for using them on a 289/302, the best you can do is get a 351W H pipe and beat it into place.

The difference between 289/302 and 351W is not that much. However if you want really good fitment, you most probably need to do some cutting and welding.
I have the 351W on my 289 -68 coupe, and it fits well. I just had to modify the driver side front pipe a bit. The passenger side was perfect.
Note, I had my exhaust system made at a local exhaust pipe workshop.