help my car start better

adamb258

Mar 30, 2003
dallas
working on a friends 68 and she wants it to start more reliably and better. We have already changed out her coil and her points to electric. What can she do to have a more reliable better start? thanks for the help i dont know much about older non efi cars. thanks in advance

• Sponsors (?)

adamb258 said:
working on a friends 68 and she wants it to start more reliably and better. We have already changed out her coil and her points to electric. What can she do to have a more reliable better start? thanks for the help i dont know much about older non efi cars. thanks in advance

A new starter helps make for a stronger start, at least it worked for me...

Some people will tell you that you can't get an older carbed engine to start as well or better then a EFI engine, but this is just not true. A starter is a good idea, and I would check Ebay for a mini high torque start. You have already changed the coil and swapped the points out to a solid state, so next would be to get new wires, plugs, cap, and rotor(check and make sure you are getting a bright blue spark at the plug when you're done). Check timing and set it to 10 degrees BTDC if it's not, do a compression test and make sure you go proper cylinder PSI, and check for vacumm leaks on the engine and carb. Now, the most important is the carb. It may be hard to believe, but a carb is even harder then EFI to get to function properley. However, it can be done, but before we even start to go down this road, I need to know more about the carb.

-Shaun

You can go to a starter / alternator shop, and have them re-wind the starter for 6 volts. When you hit the key it will crank like there are no plugs in the motor. The life of the starter seems to be about the same (4-5 years on my high comp motor). If you have headers, put a small heat shield between the headers and the starter, this will help it start better when hot. Hope this helps.

Dave-