Help with phantom radiator/coolant leak.

astronut1885

Founding Member
Jan 31, 2002
Assonet, MA
Hey guys. Two weeks ago I put in a new radiator when I did my H/C/I. Since then, I have been having problems with keeping coolant in the car. I have good hoses, but I know those aren't leaking anyway and they keep pressure once warm. I had my stock rad cap wear out and refuse to keep pressure any more the other day, so I put a new cap on thinking that may have been my leak. Still, whenever I fill my radiator to the top, by two days later it's at 3/4 full and it always drips from the cap/overflow bottle area when I park, but I can't find a leak. Anyone have any ideas? How high is the coolant level supposed to be in a cold radiator? I'm stumped. Also, are those chrome radiator hoses safe to use or not, because I was thinking of getting some.

• Sponsors (?)

I'm confused -- you said "it always drips from the cap/overflow bottle area when I park, but I can't find a leak" -- isn't the 'leak' the dripping from the overflow bottle? What am I missing?

If you're not having any other symptoms (lots of 'steam' from the exhaust that smells like antifreeze), leaks (heater core's not leaking into the passenger compartment is it?), coolant's not getting into the crankcase (oil looks like a chocolate milkshake), it's not overheating -- you're probably just overfilling it. My resevoir tank has "MIN" and "MAX" lines on it in both my cars. If I fill it past the max line, when it heats up, pressurizes and expands in the system, it will overflow the resevoir. Try continuing to drive it around at the 3/4 level you mentioned and see if it stabilizes there with no other symptoms/overheating. If so, take a permanent marker and mark the tank with it hot and cold so you know where your "fill" line is.