help with power steering

chucks1967

Jul 3, 2006
I have just rebuilt the power steering controol valve on my 67(when I say rebuilt I mean took apart cleaned up the nuckle and brass sleve and put the system back together.) it was not on the car when I got it, but had been swaped out with a non power steering adapter. Now makes a slight popping noise when I turn the wheel only slightly, after that slight movement it s fine. I havent hooked up the power steering pump yet, because I didnt want to go through all the trouble of puting the system completely back together just to have to take it all back appart.I was wandering if this noise is normal after putting the system back together, or if it is a result of the greese not have had a chance to work its way in to the system yet. any one with some insight please help.

• Sponsors (?)

Could be the travel stop adjustment is either too tight or too loose, causing a pop when the slop is taken up or when the bind on the ball stud breaks loose.
Sometimes the inside of the sleeve gets a set of ridges worn in it and the bushing can hang up on a ridge and then break loose from it.
Often the sleeve becomes out-of-round and the bushing will not slide in it and bind, causing a pop when the bind breaks loose.

Get the "complete" control valve rebuild kit. Follow the instructions in the kit or in the factory shop manual.

Make sure there are no burrs on the edges of the spool valve before reassembling the control vavle.