Hi, My first Ford

kicker0

Nov 4, 2006
Vero Beach, FL
Hi guys, I'm new to the ford world as I just bought my first Mustang. Its a 93 LX Hatch w/ 5.0 and 5 speed trans. I just got it titled and registered today so I havent had much time to drive it. Its got 110K on it but the body and interior are in pretty good shape. I've already read some threads on this forum and it looks like a great resource for information. I plan to fix some small things at first on my Fox and then gradually move to the engine and transmission (possible 351 swap :D ) While I'm a fairly new gearhead, I want to try and do as much work myself as possible to save money. That said what are some good General Repair manuals for 89-93 Mustangs? Are Haynes and Chiltons manuals the way to go or are there others? Thanks in advanced!

• Sponsors (?)

Welcome to Stangnet... :spot:

Not all of us know how to fix everything, but some of us know how to fix some things with excellence!

If you want to do the fix up & power up thing, make sure that you have some other form of reliable daily driver. That way the stang can sit while your wallet and hands take a rest from the last project that didn't quite get finished on that 3 day weekend. Things always cost more and take longer the first time you do them. Having some other working vehicle makes life easier since it isn't the big crush to get it running for the Monday morning drive to work or class.

Plan on spending some money on tools it you don't already have them. The stang has both metric and american fasteners, so you really need two sets of wrenches. A timing light, digital voltmeter, vacuum gauge, compression tester, fuel pressure test gauge and fuel line coupler tools are some of the test & tuning tools you'll need. Visit the pawn shops and sometimes you can find a deal on tools & test equipment if you stick to well known name brands.

A sheltered work area is almost a must, someplace that you can leave the car in pieces without upsetting anyone. Some guys here have changed a transmission in the parking lot of their apartment in a rainstorm, but they will tell you it wasn't fun. Depending on where you live, a warm dry garage is a nice place to do the winter projects that stangs tend to become.

EFI (Electronic Fuel Injection) Computer - every stang after 85 has or had one: don't let it intimidate you. The computer based EFI systems are not hard to fix and most of the time they tell you what's wrong with the engine. Here's a book that will get you started with how the Ford electronic engine control or "computer" works.

Ford Fuel Injection & Electronic Engine Control 1988-1993 by James Probst :ISBN 0-8376-0301-3.

It's about $20 from Borders.com see http://www.amazon.com/ . Select boo...very good, and I found it to be very helpful.

jrichker said:
Welcome to Stangnet... :spot:

Not all of us know how to fix everything, but some of us know how to fix some things with excellence!

If you want to do the fix up & power up thing, make sure that you have some other form of reliable daily driver. That way the stang can sit while your wallet and hands take a rest from the last project that didn't quite get finished on that 3 day weekend. Things always cost more and take longer the first time you do them. Having some other working vehicle makes life easier since it isn't the big crush to get it running for the Monday morning drive to work or class.

Plan on spending some money on tools it you don't already have them. The stang has both metric and american fasteners, so you really need two sets of wrenches. A timing light, digital voltmeter, vacuum gauge, compression tester, fuel pressure test gauge and fuel line coupler tools are some of the test & tuning tools you'll need. Visit the pawn shops and sometimes you can find a deal on tools & test equipment if you stick to well known name brands.

A sheltered work area is almost a must, someplace that you can leave the car in pieces without upsetting anyone. Some guys here have changed a transmission in the parking lot of their apartment in a rainstorm, but they will tell you it wasn't fun. Depending on where you live, a warm dry garage is a nice place to do the winter projects that stangs tend to become.

EFI (Electronic Fuel Injection) Computer - every stang after 85 has or had one: don't let it intimidate you. The computer based EFI systems are not hard to fix and most of the time they tell you what's wrong with the engine. Here's a book that will get you started with how the Ford electronic engine control or "computer" works.

Ford Fuel Injection & Electronic Engine Control 1988-1993 by James Probst :ISBN 0-8376-0301-3.

It's about $20 from Borders.com see http://www.amazon.com/ . Select boo...k section since I have been here. u da man J!

MyBad70 said:
welcome to the club.

we'll need pics of your wife/GF in as little clothing as possible.

thanks

Ill get back to ya on that but most likely she'll say no :rolleyes:

jrichker said:
Welcome to Stangnet...

It's about $20 from Borders.com see http://www.amazon.com/ . Select boo...mustang clubs. Anyway gotta get back to work!

welcome...cant wait to see the pics.....of the car? lol.

I have been using a Haynes Manual for the part 3 cars i have owned, and if there is anything that is not detailed in there....like the inner tie-rods that i needed to replace, I just get on here and they say "Naw, just replace the whole rack." So i did.