Hood pins? Should I do it?

Whoa, hood pins are not rice. And with the hood problems on the mustang they're not a bad idea either. They do look good but the above photoshop has them way to big. Those are like twice the size they should be.

• Sponsors (?)

Berserker said:
Whoa, hood pins are not rice. And with the hood problems on the mustang they're not a bad idea either. They do look good but the above photoshop has them way to big. Those are like twice the size they should be.

Problems? Like the hood bumpers not adjusted properly? Pins only hold the front of the hood down. The same thing the latch/lock mechanism does. Ever hear of those failing? I think not.

gp001 said:
Problems? Like the hood bumpers not adjusted properly? Pins only hold the front of the hood down. The same thing the latch/lock mechanism does. Ever hear of those failing? I think not.
I think so bubba. Try searching "hood" in the 05 S197 (2005+) Mustang section of any mustang site. Here's one account I just grabbed: http://forums.bradbarnett.net/index.php?showtopic=21652 I drive up I-25 through Wyoming where 70+ mph side winds are not uncommon at all so I'll have no problems putting some hood pins on my 06 and won't think twice about it looking like rice because it doesn't.

Berserker said:
I think so bubba. Try searching "hood" in the 05 S197 (2005+) Mustang section of any mustang site. Here's one account I just grabbed: http://forums.bradbarnett.net/index.php?showtopic=21652 I drive up I-25 through Wyoming where 70+ mph side winds are not uncommon at all so I'll have no problems putting some hood pins on my 06 and won't think twice about it looking like rice because it doesn't.

:rlaugh: :rlaugh:
Tooooooooooooooooooooooo funny. If you read that post I (YES I) proved his story to be BS as well (I go by 2MFF over there). There is no way in hell the hood latch/lock mechanism is going to fail. The crap people are complaining about is THE SIDES FLAPPING. ADJUST the bumpers and you are done. A side wind would roll your car before it opened your hood. There is almost no lift fore side to side due to the shape of the fender/hood transition. There would be WAY more lift on the hood front to back due to the aero forces (that darn Bernoulli). I'm willing to bet you could pop your hood latch at speed and you hood wouldn't fly open. Come on people, THINK.

Just like people over there said, MANY of us have been at very high speed and have lived to tell about it.

If hoods were flying open there would be awsuits and a major recall. :rolleyes:

Eh, I have never claimed a problem with my hood or really even think that I would have the latch fail. I installed my pins due to Mustang Heritage and its just the start of the external mods for my Mach 1 look.

-Dan

cleveland said:
Eh, I have never claimed a problem with my hood or really even think that I would have the latch fail. I installed my pins due to Mustang Heritage and its just the start of the external mods for my Mach 1 look.

-Dan

I agree, many performance Mustangs came stock with hood pins. I think they look great. As for the "performance purists" thinking that anything that does not add horsepower is "rice", why did you guys buy a mustang anyway? Lets face it, the large grill opening, fog lights, c-pillar windows, door cuts, ect do nothing for performance. By your standards almost the whole damn car is rice, albeit in an extremely American flavor. If you really hate anything that does not make the car go faster, then you need to sell your stang and buy an old pinto. Cut out the floor and the the inside of the doors, narrow the rearend, install some 15" slicks, and shoehorn a bored out 460 under the hood. Then you'd have a car completely devoid of "rice". A complete piece of crap, but hey, no rice.

I don't think hood pins are rice at all... They came on just about every muscle car of the late 60s and early 70s, so are those cars rice??? We have a 1968 Shelby GT500 and it has hood pins, so is it rice...

jlisle01 said:
I agree, many performance Mustangs came stock with hood pins. I think they look great. As for the "performance purists" thinking that anything that does not add horsepower is "rice", why did you guys buy a mustang anyway? Lets face it, the large grill opening, fog lights, c-pillar windows, door cuts, ect do nothing for performance. By your standards almost the whole damn car is rice, albeit in an extremely American flavor. If you really hate anything that does not make the car go faster, then you need to sell your stang and buy an old pinto. Cut out the floor and the the inside of the doors, narrow the rearend, install some 15" slicks, and shoehorn a bored out 460 under the hood. Then you'd have a car completely devoid of "rice". A complete piece of crap, but hey, no rice.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: Who said anything about "anything tht does not add hp"?

what gp001 originally said said:
I've always felt adding hood pins where they are not needed is sort of, for lack of a better term, ricey.

gp001 said:
:rlaugh: :rlaugh:
Tooooooooooooooooooooooo funny. If you read that post I (YES I) proved his story to be BS as well (I go by 2MFF over there). There is no way in hell the hood latch/lock mechanism is going to fail. The crap people are complaining about is THE SIDES FLAPPING. ADJUST the bumpers and you are done. A side wind would roll your car before it opened your hood. There is almost no lift fore side to side due to the shape of the fender/hood transition. There would be WAY more lift on the hood front to back due to the aero forces (that darn Bernoulli). I'm willing to bet you could pop your hood latch at speed and you hood wouldn't fly open. Come on people, THINK.

Just like people over there said, MANY of us have been at very high speed and have lived to tell about it.

If hoods were flying open there would be awsuits and a major recall. :rolleyes:
Ah, could you enlighten us on to the purpose of hood pins at all then? All those fools with hood pins on their muscle cars for nothing. To think they were worried about things like their hoods flying off at high speed or flying through the windshield in a crash. This is an aluminum hood with a lot of flex and according to you, there should be no worry about that latch ever failing. Ok :rolleyes: I worked at a 1 hour photo in the eighties and every couple weeks a law firm would drop off about 50 rolls of film for development. All were close up images of failed seat belt latches. Seat belts latches are supposed to be pretty efficient too. There's nothing wrong with putting on a few hood pins on as an extra precaution. It's not going to hurt a dang thing but it just might help. Plus they look good. They look muscle, not rice.

Berserker said:
Ah, could you enlighten us on to the purpose of hood pins at all then? All those fools with hood pins on their muscle cars for nothing. To think they were worried about things like their hoods flying off at high speed or flying through the windshield in a crash. This is an aluminum hood with a lot of flex and according to you, there should be no worry about that latch ever failing. Ok :rolleyes: I worked at a 1 hour photo in the eighties and every couple weeks a law firm would drop off about 50 rolls of film for development. All were close up images of failed seat belt latches. Seat belts latches are supposed to be pretty efficient too. There's nothing wrong with putting on a few hood pins on as an extra precaution. It's not going to hurt a dang thing but it just might help. Plus they look good. They look muscle, not rice.

Well, you should have said you worked at a 1 hour photo earlier, I would have never doubted your claims. However, since I stayed at a holiday inn, I can tell you that the latch/lock mechanism is perfectly sufficient.

Do you even understand how the latch/lock mechanism works? Do you even read what you are posting? Put hood pins in, put 4 in, I could really care less, but don't throw out some nonsensical claim about hoods flying open. Hell, the fiberglass hood on my 66 Mustang doesn't even lay flat and it has never flapped enough to defeat the 30+ year old latch/catch design on it. And I can guarantee you that car has frequently been faster than 98% of the 05s will ever go.

Furthermore, if the hood is as week and flexible as you claim then putting hood pins on will dent/diple the hood in no time (you do realize that for hood pins to work properly there must be tension between the strike plate and the torsion/cotter clip, right?).

Maybe, since the hoods are SO dangerous you should put some Dzus fasteners along the sides as well. You can never be too careful

Hood pins are usually used on cars that have changed to a fiberglass hood that does not have the mounting points for the latch.

Ok, so all these threads with people talking about hood pins to secure their 05 hoods are idiots. All these people who have installed hood pins on their 05s can be secure in the knowledge that it's just for looks and there is no point beyond that. And the people who have reported hood latches failing on any make at high speed on regular hoods are full of BS. There is no chance that the hood flex will cause the latch to fail? People reporting that their hoods look like a plastic bag flapping in the wind. All BS, no danger, them latches are all that's in order. Hood pins won't be of any help or added security. I know they didn't help with Ford Racing at Daytona but why the hell do they have them on anyway? 4 of them?

cleveland said:
Let me repeat myself, I use pins because of the Mustang Heritage and appearance reasons only.

Other that use them for some other function are idiots.

-Dan
Well your reasoning for using them sounds good to me. Does the ford racing 05 mustangs have aluminum hoods w/hood latch? If so, are they idiots for using 4? Why are they using them, 4 of them?

In my thinking .. I always thought hood pins were made for ppl who have off road/strip cars with an aftermarket hood on them. Yes they would stop the hood from flying off .. But In my thinking I thought the use was based on the idea that things like latches and hinges made weight. ..and because between runs it was easy and fast to remove the hood for tuning and what not ... so no latches and no hinges = use hood pins .. But thats just me ..

I relate putting hood pins on a daily driver right up there with putting one of those fake turbo sound things in your tailpipe .. both are equally silly..

But again thats just me.....

Berserker said:
Well your reasoning for using them sounds good to me. Does the ford racing 05 mustangs have aluminum hoods w/hood latch? If so, are they idiots for using 4? Why are they using them, 4 of them?
I dont know if a latch existed but I do know that the hood flew off once. I dont know if there were pins too.

-Dan

Chris_NY said:
I relate putting hood pins on a daily driver right up there with putting one of those fake turbo sound things in your tailpipe .. both are equally silly..

But again thats just me.....
Do you think other things that give a sports car a sporty look are "silly" Silly racing stripes, silly spoilers... If someone goes to the track for fun with his daily driver is it then not silly for the placement of such things? Muscle cars and hood pins have been together for quite some time. You really think it's silly? I think kids who walk around with their pants falling down to their knees and hats cocked sideways are silly. I would have never described hood pins as silly but that's just me...

cleveland said:
I dont know if a latch existed but I do know that the hood flew off once. I dont know if there were pins too.

-Dan
Yes, it flew off with 4 pins. The reason is unknown according to every report i've read so it could be that the hood pins were not secured. I don't know if it's the stock aluminum hood/latch. The only thing I do know for sure is that hood pins look good and many people have mentioned their use in connection with securing their hoods. I will go with hood pins and believe it will help secure my hood more even if it doesn't. Because it certainly won't make the hood less secure so that only leaves me with liking the looks of them and if they add saftey, cool, if they don't, i'm not any worse off anyway.

Berserker said:
Ok, so
all these threads with people talking about hood pins to secure their 05 hoods
are idiots.

Hmmm. I've been a part of most of the more popular Mustang forums for years and have been a part of the 05 forums since before the cars even hit the road, and I don't recall seeing anything but "Hood Flapping" complaints. These complaints refer to the sides and is usually remedied with minor adjustments.
If there were "all these people" with hood latch/lok failure we would all have a nice little recall notice in the mail. We live in litigious times.

Berserker said:
All these people who have installed hood pins on their 05s can be secure in the knowledge that it's just for looks and there is no point beyond that

Yep

Berserker said:
And the people who have reported hood latches failing on any make at high speed on regular hoods are full of BS

Anything made by humans can fail. Bad part, defect in metal, etc can cause the odd failure, but this does not make a trend. Ever hear the story of Chicken Little? I have copied the pertinent part at the bottom of this reply.

Berserker said:
There is no chance that the hood flex will cause the latch to fail?

No chance. If the front of the hood was that flexible it would crease everytime you open your hood. Especially for those who installed struts. Sorry, but the structure is just not that flimsy.

Berserker said:
People reporting that their hoods look like a plastic bag flapping in the wind. All BS, no danger, them latches are all that's in order.

Sides flapping, pins won't help

Berserker said:
Hood pins won't be of any help or added security.

Added ??? What would they add to? They surely wouldn't add to the latch/lock mechanism you have been claiming fails all the time?
Added = unecessary = Rice (IMO, YOMV)

Berserker said:
I know they didn't help with Ford Racing at Daytona but why the hell do they have them on anyway? 4 of them?

This is a perfect example of what I am trying to point out. Without any first hand knowledge or any research you throw out a statement. Just like Henny Penny, Cocky Locky, and Turkey Lurkey.
Maybe I am wrong because I don't have a ton of knowledge of the team, but it appears to me that they have them because it is a race car and have deleted the factory latch/lock mechanism. At least that's the way it looks from the pic on their website. Maybe they should change back.
http://www.multimaticmotorsports.com/mustang/images/daytona/daytona10_lg.jpg

The sky is not falling and the hood latch lock mechanisms are not failing. Drive in piece my fellow chickens

"The sky is falling and we are going to tell the King," they all replied together.
"How do you know?" asked Foxy Loxy squinting his wicked eyes.
"Turkey Lurkey told me," said Gander Pander.
"Goosey Poosey told me," said Turkey Lurkey. "Ducky Daddies told me," said Goosey Poosey. "Cocky Locky told me," said Ducky Daddies. "Henny Penny told me," said Cocky Locky. "Chicken Little told me," said Henny Penny.
"A piece of it fell on my head," cried Chicken Little, "and we are going to tell the King."
By and by they came to the beautiful palace in which lived the wise King, and upon being brought before him, they all shouted at once; "Good and wise King, we have come to warn you that the sky is falling!"
"How do you know the sky is falling?" asked the King. "Because a piece of it fell on my head," said Chicken Little.
"Come nearer, Chicken Little," said the King and leaning from his velvet throne, he picked the pebble from the feathers of Chicken Little's head.
"You see it was only a little pebble and not part of the sky at all," said the King. "Go home in peace and do not fear because the sky cannot fall; only rain falls from the sky."

I say you put the pins on because you want to.. Too many people resorting to the "Looks Rice" theory.. To all the chumps who like to call mustangs rice listen up..

A Mustang cant ever look rice, unless it has one of the SVT Cobra Wings.. And even then, calling any American car "Rice", makes it appear your too closed minded to other peoples opinion.. Whcih means, your opinion should not count anyway..

GP001 never claims the rice statement.. He is just stating its not a needed item to keep the hood on.. He is against it because it does not provide any benefit that can be claimed as proven..

Thats a good opinion based on facts... But the guys who would like to shove their own opinions on someone else, based on how they interpret the car to look, based on their own criteria, this is a childish and immature comment.. Either state facts like GP001 or keep it to yourself.. Everyone here has different taste.. Obviously, the hood clips have some type of use, or else they would have been canceled long ago..

I say get the clips if you want them, or give facts why they are not needed.. But to say it looks rice should get you slapped!