how do i remove brake rotors 98 v6

bderosas13

Oct 23, 2001
Chicago, IL
i have a 98 v6 and i am trying to replace my rotors...i got as far as removing the calipers but i cant get the rotors off...i removed the 2 washers on the stud bolts but the rotor still wont budge...i have been using a rubber mallet to remove the rotor with no luck...am i missing a step? do i need to remove any bearings or any caps...please help. any info appreciated. thanks in advance

• Sponsors (?)

do not hit the rotor where it makes contact with the brake pads. Hit it on the part that sits on the wheel hub, be careful not to hit the wheel studs either. If you cant get them off i can give you a hand if you are in Chicago, somewhere close to me. Im sure they will come off.

Try spraying them down with brake parts cleaner on both sides of the hub. Cobra 232 is right, they're just rusted in place. I had the same problem getting my front rotors off. Brake part cleaner, then a 2lb sledge. Just make sure you hit the rotor in different spots, (think star pattern for lug nuts). If you don't you'll wedge it in place.

:nice: i got the left front off...i almost darn stripped that caliper bolt off so i need new ones plus the torx bolt is also almost stripped gotta get one of those tomorrow...geez i wish we have a 24 hour autozone here in the suburban area i know of one autozone in chicago thats open 24/7 nice! anyway more pounding tomorrow...its kinda late dont wanna get my neighbors upset plus im letting the liquid wrench set in so its easier hopefully tomorrow...thanks for all the info...this is why i love mustangs and the mustang community :D

and off came the right front rotor :banana: ...just a piece of advice for those who are doing the same job its a good idea to sand off some of the rust that are on the hub makes it a ton easier to remove the rotors this way...i thought to myself duh this would have been a lot easier if i used my noggin :bang: it's not all brute strength after all...but it helps to have a nice heavy hammer!!! so u can unlock/unfreeze that darn rotor...overall easy project with all the right tools, some strength, and some thinking. again thanks to you all for the info...anybody have any questions i'll be more than happy to respond...here are some of the basics i've done myself...change front/rear pads, change spark plugs/wires, change drive belt, replace stock muffler with dual exhaust, replace pcv valve, and oh yeah replace rotors :spot: . thats all i think...so if you plan on doing any of these things and you have a question i can probably give you some useful hints...well thanks again 'til my next project!