how do ya feel about LS1 powered Mustangs?

• Sponsors (?)

I'm starting to like the "idea", not that I'd do it (too much cash - makes more sense to me, to just put in a built windsor based block and boost it)...

here's a vid of an LS1 swap
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=4903636469658773213

It's kinda like meeting this really great looking gal. You spend some time with her and something isn't quite right. You ask around and find out that she was born a he, but has done the surgery thing to get all the parts changed and rearranged...

Wow. I'm "LS1 Powered" on EVERY forum except this one, because I didn't want to piss anyone off.

I'm not a hater. I grew up with Lee Bender, owner of C&L Performance. And still live near him. He's been instrumental in my truck restoration project.

However, I've had Mazda RX-7's since 1990, and currently have 5. None of which are rotary powered. They are LS1 powered. 5.0 doesn't fit so well, so I don't use them. But I sure as hell like them.

A little about my LS1 powered RX-7 for ya....

2.8 second 0-60 spinning on slicks (2nd gear launch - to 62 mph. No gear changes. 4.10 gears stock.)
11.78 @ 118 on the same (spinning into 3rd) slicks. (Some people are in the 9's, and driving them to Wal-Mart for Mt. Dew on the way to the strip.)
Bone stock LS1. Zero mods to the engine.
29 MPG on the Interstate. I can pass anyone I want, whenever I want!

I like Mustangs w/ Mustang drivetrains. I would not go LS1 there.

Dad-in-laws truck.... www.wrongmotor.com/truck.htm

My site about MY LS1 RX-7's... www.wrongmotor.com

Trying to hold honor in name brands and all that is complete bull****. Id swap an LS1 or LS7 into a foxbody in a heartbeat. I dont care whats ford or chevy, whatever makes power. The LS series smallblock is the baddest smallblock ever made by far, to say anything otherwise is being ignorant. I can accept the fact that chevy makes a better motor and ford possibly makes a better car. Ive learned to hate fords anyways, I love my foxbody, I love mustangs, I hate ford. Lets not forget Ford sueing people for using the word "mustang" in shop names and such.

I hope you burn in hell. First off you dont need a 350 in a fox. I smoke 350 chevys all the time at the track in my 289 powered, yes you heard right 289 powered, 85 mustang. Its almost completely stock except it has 85 factory aluminum intake and a just a little above stock cam. Why do you not need a 350 in your mustang.... because it doesnt weigh as much as a chevy, olds, pontiac. Eat poo and die for putting a chevy in a ford. I hate you bastards along with the import lovers. If you dont bleed blue then get the hell off of this site. Its kinda like the sand ni**ers that live in the U.S. and cheered when the 9/11 towers fell.

You guys crack me up!! ford should go with ford and yada yada....who really cares. Most of the people that have thes cars are probally because it's a decent starting platfprm for a fun car...not because it's a ford...If you have the ability to put in a LS1 motor which makes a bit more power than the 5.0 (stock for stock) than cudos for that guy.....Yes it might cost the majority of the people more money to do this swap BUT if you can do it yourself for cheap than why the heck not!??

This cracks me up every time and i think it's mostly because of how quick the car will be with a STOCK motor....I know the ls1 in this video is not DUH...

To the 2jz comment....a good reason not to do that would be because a stock one would not be really any improvement over the 5.0....it would be senseless and surly a waste of time and money...BUT if you can do it for cheap and mod the crap out of it than cudos for you will have a custom car....

A lot of you are being hipacrits sp*? because you people are doing in a sense the exact same thing except it may not be a GM product....In a sense a motor is a part....or a seiries of them....If you change out your stock ford headers for say some bbk or another brand other than ford than yea....my point....may not be a gm product but it's still not a ford product..

I say that car is going to be sick......slap on a blower or just plain spray it and hello 600 hp....

Pure ignorance. Yeah, when I'm shopping for a Fox Mustang the first thing I think of is how great of a platform it is :rolleyes: The platform SUCKS! 99% of us own our cars because we love them for what they are...the looks, the sound, the ease of modification. No one sees it as an amazing canvas for some exotic changes, because its not. These cars have a personality all their own, and we embrace them for just that, even with their shortcomings.

Adding aftermarket parts to a car is not hypocracy when compared to putting in an LS1. Companies exist to enhance the overall experience of owning a particular car, we are not going out and recruiting the competition to make our cars better, we are using parts made by companies specifically for our application.

There is an amount of pride in owning a certian type of car. Some people blur the lines a bit by having no true loyalty and owning many types of cars, but why do you think the Ford vs. Chevy rivalry even exists? Because there are loyal fans on each side who are passionate about what they have and cross breeding between two competetors is blasphemy. Go ask a 3rd gen F-Body owner if they want to replace their 305 with the superior 5.0...or if an LS1 owner would want to swap their motor for a terminator cobra engine...see what they say.

I understand that some people are different and would be interested in a project such as this, but the VAST majority would be against it, and I hardly think that is grounds for "cracking up."

I hope you burn in hell. First off you dont need a 350 in a fox. I smoke 350 chevys all the time at the track in my 289 powered, yes you heard right 289 powered, 85 mustang. Its almost completely stock except it has 85 factory aluminum intake and a just a little above stock cam. Why do you not need a 350 in your mustang.... because it doesnt weigh as much as a chevy, olds, pontiac. Eat poo and die for putting a chevy in a ford. I hate you bastards along with the import lovers. If you dont bleed blue then get the hell off of this site. Its kinda like the sand ni**ers that live in the U.S. and cheered when the 9/11 towers fell.

lol because you "smoke" 350 chevys in your 289 pile of **** all chevys suck? LS series smallblocks and 350 chevys are two COMPLETELY different motors. LS1's make N/A ford motors look stupid.

Pure ignorance. Yeah, when I'm shopping for a Fox Mustang the first thing I think of is how great of a platform it is :rolleyes: The platform SUCKS! 99% of us own our cars because we love them for what they are...the looks, the sound, the ease of modification. No one sees it as an amazing canvas for some exotic changes, because its not. These cars have a personality all their own, and we embrace them for just that, even with their shortcomings.

Adding aftermarket parts to a car is not hypocracy when compared to putting in an LS1. Companies exist to enhance the overall experience of owning a particular car, we are not going out and recruiting the competition to make our cars better, we are using parts made by companies specifically for our application.

There is an amount of pride in owning a certian type of car. Some people blur the lines a bit by having no true loyalty and owning many types of cars, but why do you think the Ford vs. Chevy rivalry even exists? Because there are loyal fans on each side who are passionate about what they have and cross breeding between two competetors is blasphemy. Go ask a 3rd gen F-Body owner if they want to replace their 305 with the superior 5.0...or if an LS1 owner would want to swap their motor for a terminator cobra engine...see what they say.

I understand that some people are different and would be interested in a project such as this, but the VAST majority would be against it, and I hardly think that is grounds for "cracking up."

lmfao are you serious? Hes right, foxbodies are a GREAT platform, they have a short wheel base, they are light, and have TONS of room in the engine bay. The whole ford vs chevy thing is stupid, its ignorance. Its like domestics vs imports. "ZOMG ALL IMPORTS SUCK V8 CAN NEVAR LOOOOOSE".

Loyal fans? Loyalty to what? Ford? Im not loyal to Ford, they make horrible cars. I put an x pipe in a mach1 yesterday and it was by far the worst experiance Ive ever had working on a car. I will daily drive a honda any day of the week over some ford daily driver. Yes my fox will always hold its spot in the garage, but Im always open to trying new things, like swapping LS1's into foxbodies.

lmfao are you serious? Hes right, foxbodies are a GREAT platform, they have a short wheel base, they are light, and have TONS of room in the engine bay. The whole ford vs chevy thing is stupid, its ignorance. Its like domestics vs imports. "ZOMG ALL IMPORTS SUCK V8 CAN NEVAR LOOOOOSE".

Loyal fans? Loyalty to what? Ford? Im not loyal to Ford, they make horrible cars. I put an x pipe in a mach1 yesterday and it was by far the worst experiance Ive ever had working on a car. I will daily drive a honda any day of the week over some ford daily driver. Yes my fox will always hold its spot in the garage, but Im always open to trying new things, like swapping LS1's into foxbodies.

Fox bodies are POS weak chassis with ancient suspension systems. hardly useful for doing something crazy with. the chassis was developed in the mid 70's and the first car it was used on was the damn fairmont. they even toyed with the idea of using torsion bar front suspension...yeah, great platform :rolleyes: the aftermarket has helped alot but there are countless cars that are better platforms for strong performance

Whether you like it or not or think its smart or not, TONS of people have strong loyalty to a certian brand. Ford, Chevy, Dodge, Honda, Nissan whatever. No one is asking you to be loyal to anyone but that doesnt mean those who have loyalties are stupid.

Why is the trend that any time something comes up that you disagree with or that you dont like, its automatically BS and grounds for bashing? Chill out and let people do what they like. I have one take on it, and MANY people share that opinion. I would not like to see LS1's being put into mustangs, but i'm not gonna hate a person who does the swap, and the reality is that there are strong loyalties everywhere, sorry you cant accept that.

Fox bodies are POS weak chassis with ancient suspension systems. hardly useful for doing something crazy with. the chassis was developed in the mid 70's and the first car it was used on was the damn fairmont. they even toyed with the idea of using torsion bar front suspension...yeah, great platform :rolleyes: the aftermarket has helped alot but there are countless cars that are better platforms for strong performance

Whether you like it or not or think its smart or not, TONS of people have strong loyalty to a certian brand. Ford, Chevy, Dodge, Honda, Nissan whatever. No one is asking you to be loyal to anyone but that doesnt mean those who have loyalties are stupid.

Why is the trend that any time something comes up that you disagree with or that you dont like, its automatically BS and grounds for bashing? Chill out and let people do what they like. I have one take on it, and MANY people share that opinion. I would not like to see LS1's being put into mustangs, but i'm not gonna hate a person who does the swap, and the reality is that there are strong loyalties everywhere, sorry you cant accept that.

Everytime I go down to the track, at least 80% of the 11 second and lower cars are foxbodies. I dont think that is because they are loyal to the little blue plastic badge on the front of the car. What your saying is that 99% of people share your opinion. Did you go and talk to 100% of the people? If that were so true this thread wouldnt be 4 pages long already.

Everytime I go down to the track, at least 80% of the 11 second and lower cars are foxbodies. I dont think that is because they are loyal to the little blue plastic badge on the front of the car. What your saying is that 99% of people share your opinion. Did you go and talk to 100% of the people? If that were so true this thread wouldnt be 4 pages long already.

More than you think.

If no one cared and liked every thing equally, why are there specific events such as Carlisle All-Ford or All-GM nationals??

I was just at the All-Ford nationals, I'd bet that alot of them would go without a car before owning a chevy, and at the GM show there are alot who wouldnt take a Ford if it was given to them.

Thats the way it is, deal with it.

More than you think.

If no one cared and liked every thing equally, why are there specific events such as Carlisle All-Ford or All-GM nationals??

I was just at the All-Ford nationals, I'd bet that alot of them would go without a car before owning a chevy, and at the GM show there are alot who wouldnt take a Ford if it was given to them.

Thats the way it is, deal with it.

lol deal with it. How will I ever deal with it! anyways...

More than I think? more like all of them? No. Some, probably.

Im not saying there ISNT loyalty to brands, but your saying 99% of people buy these cars simply because they are fords, and that is complete bull****.

lol deal with it. How will I ever deal with it! anyways...

More than I think? more like all of them? No. Some, probably.

Im not saying there ISNT loyalty to brands, but your saying 99% of people buy these cars simply because they are fords, and that is complete bull****.

no, not because they are FORDS, but because they are Mustangs. i said that 99% of us (us being mustang owners) buy these cars because we love them for what they are. that has nothing to do with any other ford. Mustangs dont come with LS1's, they come with 5.0's which is part of the allure. I'd guess that VERY few people buy mustangs with the thought that they might do a swap as elaborate as an LS1. 351 sure, maybe even 460 if they wanna get crazy, but not LS1. They buy them because of what they are good at in spite of their shortcomings. "blah, my 5.0 isnt powerful enough, maybe i should swap to an LS1" I cant say I have EVER known of anyone to say that, save for the handful i have come across online. people own and love mustangs because of what they are and what they offer, not because they are simply a "good platform." and using a motor from the competition is just not an option for most.

no, not because they are FORDS, but because they are Mustangs. i said that 99% of us (us being mustang owners) buy these cars because we love them for what they are. that has nothing to do with any other ford. Mustangs dont come with LS1's, they come with 5.0's which is part of the allure. I'd guess that VERY few people buy mustangs with the thought that they might do a swap as elaborate as an LS1. 351 sure, maybe even 460 if they wanna get crazy, but not LS1. They buy them because of what they are good at in spite of their shortcomings. "blah, my 5.0 isnt powerful enough, maybe i should swap to an LS1" I cant say I have EVER known of anyone to say that, save for the handful i have come across online. people own and love mustangs because of what they are and what they offer, not because they are simply a "good platform." and using a motor from the competition is just not an option for most.

you must be hanging out with a different crowd then, I have 2 friends who own foxbodies, and both of them are extremely fast, and thats all they care about, as with myself. One WAS a 306 nitrous car, and now is a 2.3T car. Its going faster on the 2.3T than it ever did on the 306 with nitrous, and the 306 went 11.80s on motor.

The other was also a 306 nitrous car and is now a 351w 76mm car, next motor going in that car is an 03/04 cobra motor. Yes maybe the 351 might be a little faster, but the 03/04 swap is half the price and much more streetable.

Your underestimating the size of the group of people who just care about going fast, regardless of whats under the hood or whats "right and wrong".