How much can the stock radiator handle?

hotmustang331

Apr 29, 2004
Bastrop,TX
Like the title says. I should be putting down in the area of 440-450RWHP.
Now what concerns me is that I bought a GIANT intercooler off Ebay (24X18X3.5). Its going to be blocking 95% of the lower bumper opening, and 75% or so of the upper opening where the pony is lol. Basically I dont want it trying to overheat on Tims dyno...anyone have any experiance with this?

• Sponsors (?)

i'd say the stock radiator can handle 4, maybe 5 qts of coolant:nice:

just throw some water wetter in there, turn your cooling fans on sooner and call it a day. unless of course you head over to texas motor speedway and throwdown a few dozen laps at wot

do any of the s/c'ed guys making 450rwhp+ have overheating problems?:shrug:
i've always wondered.

i i wasnt awaer on any overheating problems with that type of hp. i never hear anyone talking about it or posting about it. i would think you would be ok. if not niether will i as i assume i will be making the same type of power when i get my stuff together.

the 03 bumper will expose more of the intercooler for sure.

when i stuck a FMIC on my dsm, i had overheating issues. never knew about it till i got dsmlink and programmed the CEL to come on when the temps reached 220*(as recommended). first drive and BAM CEL is on after 10 minutes of driving.

one of the things i did was a total cooling system revamp
1) ran the **** that cleans it out(rust and buildup) for a day.
2) flushed and put in 50/50 mix of coolant and distilled h2o and a bottle of water wetter
3) new rad cap
4) created a lower shroud that drawn in air from about 2" under the fmic under the front lip of the car, and rammed it straight up into the radiator, bypassing the fmic that now took up the entire front fascia opening.
5) 170* Tstat
6) programmed all fans to be on high full time.

afterwards, my freeway temps went from 205* before to 185*, and idle it never hit over 195* on the hottest day(113* outside).

i would hook up the fmic and drive around. if it overheats, youll know its time to do something.

has me thinking more about the meth injection. :shrug: i getting all confused about how i want to cool once i go fi.

if you do start to get overheating issues how can you fix? i didnt think intercooled cars had overheating issues, is it just becaust the radiator is blocked?

Great...sounds like these stangs have some petty good cooling system in them from the factor :D.

What I was really concerned with is when im under full boost and not really getting much airflow over the motor. But maybe it will be ok :D.

Darn gauges will cost me $500, so I think ill wait on the EGT/water/fuel pressure gauges. Atleast until after my dyno tune. the gauges il be getting come with progamable warning lights...so that well be great. (BTW have redline WW and 180 Tstat)