How much did you pay for port work?

SmockDoiley

Jun 14, 2003
San Diego, CA
I wanted to go with a Vic Jr. setup but I guess I could just port my Track Heats. Around how much does it run to get aluminum heads ported. I'd like to go from the 170cc intake to around a 190-200 and of course open up the exhaust also due to the supercharger and stroker I have. Any intelligent guesses or quotes. Thanks peeps.

• Sponsors (?)

Yes sir.... felpro1250 on the intake and 1415 or something like that on the exhaust.... he also ported my explorer lower for another 100. Then again my car has run some way dissapointing times so maybe i didn't get such a good deal.... but it's way out of tune.

When I had my Performer RPM heads ported it was like 200 for the port work and 80 for the valve job. However the guy that did the port work is a very good friend of mine and gives me a discount.

Theres more to porting than matching the intake and exhaust ports to a gasket. I cant see a $200 port job being anything good. Probably some redneck with a dremel and a file :D Like rick said above, around $700 for a GOOD job with quality work to acheive your goals. greg @ xsrcylinder heads, ed curtis, tea and neil erickson are guys that, from the research i've done, are good at what they do. Ed curtis was a bit much for me and I have been told neil has very good prices. I think if I ever have my TW heads ported, i'd let greg from xsr do them and the lower intake. His prices were good for what I inquired about and a valve job.

Im not very intelligent and definatly not smart...but why not just get a nitrate coated titanium style drill bit....disassemble the heads...and drill / port away....it works....i did my intake this way......but keep in mind that this may cost you $7 for the bit and i am not a smart person.....however....you may gain / lose - hp / tq

Rick 91GT said:
Most of the time after a full port job they require a valve job, a good competition valve job will yeild gains over the "out of the box" vj.
oh and a good valve job is a good idea....but there will be NO gains over what it was before....hey its just reality guy.......sorry :shrug:

a "competition" valve job - im assuming a 3 angle or 5 angle or whatever...only yields a better mating surface for the valves when they close to the seats and may result in very..very...very minimal h.p. but most deffinatly not anything that can be significantly measured..... :nice:

I port my heads for free

but i had a guy teach me

and no i am not talking about rolling the edges to meet the gasket i am talking about hogging them out all the way through and knocking the humps out were the valve is.

what do u guys gain by porting the ports bigger than the gasket but a JUNK HEAD when u break into the water jackets

IMPORTSMOKER said:
oh and a good valve job is a good idea....but there will be NO gains over what it was before....hey its just reality guy.......sorry :shrug:

a "competition" valve job - im assuming a 3 angle or 5 angle or whatever...only yields a better mating surface for the valves when they close to the seats and may result in very..very...very minimal h.p. but most deffinatly not anything that can be significantly measured..... :nice:

Hate to say but your wrong......a good custom valve job is worth every penny, why do you think guys get $250+, the before and after is the proof.

IndyBlk5.0 said:
i payed 100 bucks to get my stock heads ported fully on the exhaust side :shrug: Thank god they are gone now.

He just gasket matched and removed egr bump I think.