how much $$ for engine rebuild and/or timing chain replacement?

search4aztlan

Nov 19, 2002
Orlando, FL
I'm running a stock 5.0 with 195,xxx miles :hail2: and am hearing some strange rattling from the back of the engine (towards firewall). I suspect it's the timing chain since I've been told they typically need to be adjusted or replaced around 100,000+ miles. The tranny (manual) was replaced at 140,xxx miles.

I'm looking to keep the car for another few years and possibly installing some power adders now that i have a great job, so i need to know what my foundation is in terms of engine condition. Is the best way to do this by getting the engine rebuilt? Would it make more sense to buy a new engine? What the cost I'm looking at? What other things should I consider or take into account? Thanks for any and all advice. :flag:

• Sponsors (?)

I have 187,000 miles on my 5.0 and stock T5. The timming chain is in the front of the engine, so the sound you are hearing is not the timming chain if it is coming from the rear. This sound you are hearing, does it get louder with RPM's, change when you press the clutch in, etc? Give alittle more info. Also if your compression is good your bottom end will hold up for some time to come. I wouldent advise modding what you have now. What would be a wise solution is to buy a new short block, something like a DSS 306 short block for $1500 and add H/C/I and then swap it out. If you have anymore questions feel free to ask.

stang_gt_1994 said:
This sound you are hearing, does it get louder with RPM's, change when you press the clutch in, etc? Give alittle more info.

Let's see, the rattling gets a little louder at higher rpm and doesn't change when the clutch is pressed in. The funny thing is that it's more noticable when cruising around 50-65mph in 5th gear. When accelerating moderately from 1st through 4th i'd have to listen for the sound. I don't think it's the tranny 'cause I still here the rattling when the car is sitting idle in neutral. :shrug: Even when I go through the gears the rattling doesn't change. I'm trying to get a good idea of what the problem may be so that I could take it to a mechanic and be armed with some knowledge as well as get a good idea of what the repair will cost.

I'd say since you have 197,000 miles on the clock it would be in your best interest to go ahead and get it rebuilt or buy another motor and get some bolt-ons like heads, cam, intake, exhaust, etc. If you don't rebuild it and you put bolt-ons on that stock bottom end then you're just gonna have to rebuild the bottom shortly after anyway. At 197,000 miles that stock shortblock is tired...unless ts been driven by somebody's grandma who doesn't go over 55mph for the whole 197,000 mile lifespan.

So, just go ahead and rebuild the motor or buy another one. What kind of budget are you look at?

..thought about buying new instead of paying $$ for "restoration". Pros/Cons?

stangboy said:
So, just go ahead and rebuild the motor or buy another one. What kind of budget are you look at?

Just graduated and got a great paying gig so I'm looking to spend maybe around $5,000 (min) - $7500 (max) over the next 2 years. I thought about buying new since I'll be starting with a fresh car. I'm trying to way the pros and cons of buying new or sticking with my '94 5.0 and putting some money into it so that I could have a somewhat unique car. :banana:

My motor has the same mileage as yours. I pulled it down to the short block for heads and intake after finding cranking pressure was 145# average which is good. I found the cylinder walls have NO lip in the wall, but the chain was REALLY loose. I replaced the chain and an now reassebling with GT40P heads and Explorer intake. Kept the stock cam.

search4aztlan said:
I wouldn't trust myself to do the work. I wouldn't have the time anyway. So how much for getting an engine rebuilt? Is the dealer the best place to get it done?

Good question! In this area you sure want to make sure you get what you pay for. I've heard of a few people who had their good stock blocks bored along with heads and intake, but some of the work was shotty and incomplete. Next year I'll be in your shoes, but I think I'll go the route of putting on new heads, intake, cam, and many other parts. I'd probably be looking at having one of the engine places (like Coast High Performance) put something together for me that will meet my needs: 320hp+ N/A at engine while passing emissions.

Not cheap, but less than a new car. Of course a more potent engine also means I'll need better brakes, suspension, and cooling. Tranny will need attention along with the rear end. Costly, but overall it's cheaper than a new car and the end result will be pleasing. Tough decision, but this is what I'm pitching to my wife right now. :)

MM&FF or 5.0 magazine had a good article a while back about the various leading engine building companies. Basically, all of them will work with you to create whatever you want even though they advertise basic packages. Customizing is the name of their game which helps a guy like me.