How much HP and TQ can a stock T-5 take?

Highbredcloud

Mar 4, 2003
Palos Hills, IL
Hey guys...I looked at the Tremec website and it says that a T-5 can handle 300lbs of TQ...is that rear wheel TQ? I just purchased another 5.0 this weekend that has a T-5 with 100K on an unabused motor. Just curious what the T-5 can handle in terms of RWHP and RWTQ. Please let me know along with some reliable daily driven combos.

-Greg

• Sponsors (?)

I'm pretty sure they all refer to flywheel hp. The way I look at it, the tranny is transferin more power before the wheels(closer to flywheel/less drag, if any). And only the '89+ T-5's were rated at 300tq. Previous years were rated at around 285 lbs-ft I believe. My car has about 132k mi on it untouched engine/trans and it shifts fine. The clutch is the original from my knowledge and trust me, I've driven my car hard at times like the occasional gear drop to 3rd on the freeway at 75mph :D . Tranny shows no signs of wear(knock on wood) Alot of guys will agree that the T-5 is a good tranny for most street applications that see some strip use. Just don't powershift it or launch with slicks at 5000RPM's. I hear they don't like that.

its not really based on strictly HP...there are alot of other factors that are can affect it...u cant have 500 HP and 550 TQ and it will work fine if your not launching at 5000..if its a daily driver and wont see teh track itll be fine...and tere are many people with T5 that are still going good way beyond the ratings. hell, the mustang has 300ft lbs stock.

I have been running around with my stock t5 for about 2 years with my 331 set up. i was racing alot with it on the 302 before that. i would say that it depends on launching and powershifts.
oh yeah, i think that this tranny i have is from a 91 or 92GT---- was in it when i got it 5 years ago.

N8Miller said:
I have been running around with my stock t5 for about 2 years with my 331 set up. i was racing alot with it on the 302 before that. i would say that it depends on launching and powershifts.
oh yeah, i think that this tranny i have is from a 91 or 92GT---- was in it when i got it 5 years ago.

ok not trying to hijack the thread, but if you took a stock T5 and gave it the pro shift treatment, would it last longer? 'Cause i'm all about 5k rpm clutch drops and powershifting...i'll probably have to spend as much on my trans as i will my engine, then i'll just be ripping my clutch and rear end out.