How much should I pay for a paint job

whats the going price for a good show car quality paint job. and that would be same color as the car is now but with the engine bay painted to match the paint and the some black on hood and wing ? I just got an outragous price of 6k to 15k? Would love to hear your feed back I m not willing to that much or can I afford to . Id rather go buy another cobra for that much.lol

• Sponsors (?)

Dude, if you're balking at $6,000 for a "good show car quality paint job", then you have no idea what you're asking for. I work with body shops all day long and 6g's for a complete repaint is pretty low, and that's for a production-quality job. My father-in-law did custom paint work for classics and street rods for 60 years and a lot of his stuff ended up costing from the mid-twenties to low-thirties. The labor involved in doing a "good show car quality paint job" is far beyond what most shops are willing to deal with. Unless you can do the work yourself or can get a hook up with someone doing it on the side, be prepared to fork over the big bucks.

Well two months ago I was quoted $2500 for a 3-stage repaint of Laser Red which is a candied paint. My car has about 10 little dings and a ripple in the DS front fender. They said all that would be fixed, they would remove the lights, mirrors , badges, wing and window molding. He said there will not be one drip or any orangepeel anywhere. And a lifetime warrenty on fading, this is with Matrix paint, it will cost $300 more for PPG. I saw his other cars in the shop getting buffed and they were FLAWLESS. So for me 6K sounds like alot. You could truck your car to Texas and still save money:nice:

I spent 2k on my hood , rear bumper , and 99 cobra sidescoops for my GT. The hood is a y2k cobra hood and the center section is black. They did a pretty good job , wet sanded it and everything. Just depends on the shop and who you know but paint isnt cheap man.

I spent 2k on my hood , rear bumper , and 99 cobra sidescoops for my GT. The hood is a y2k cobra hood and the center section is black. They did a pretty good job , wet sanded it and everything. Just depends on the shop and who you know but paint isnt cheap man.

Can you please post some pics....?

I upgraded my bumper to a 01 cobra bumper from a 99 mustang bumper and the scoops to the 35th anniversary style too. I think I'm going to go with a cowl or cobra r hood, but I don't know yet:shrug:

I would like to see how your paint job turned out because I plan on doing the same thing:flag:

You could, but you still wouldn't have "a good show car quality paint job", just a regular production quality paint job on a different car.
+1

There's a huge difference between a good or even great paint job and a "Show Quality" paint job. If you are talking about "Show Quality" as in a local car show in the Hooters parking lot, then yeah under 6K is about right, but a TRUE "Show Quality" paint job is going to cost major bucks.

U.M.

I suggest buying some products and try it yourself. I picked up a gun and painted a car I needed done and it turned out great. Ever since then I have gotten better and better at it. I even did a Mustang for a friend I felt so comfortable. I bought all the supplies for a few hundred and did it myself.

You could, but you still wouldn't have "a good show car quality paint job", just a regular production quality paint job on a different car.

You got that right. Don't think there is a true understanding here what really goes into a Quality Show Car paint job or maybe what a finished Show Car Paint should really look like.

Cost me over $6K just to fix up some things on my '67, and it started out pretty darn nice to start with.

For a quality paint job you could easily spend over $1K just buying paint even if you did it yourself. $6K for a quality paint job does not surprise me even remotely. $12K, while a lot of money, can be considered reasonable--it all depends on what you are having done and what your final product will look like.