how to adapt GT40P heads for EGR?

jaymac

Feb 18, 2004
Northern Mass
My GT40P's are in the shop right now getting ported, polished, and milled to go on my car.
I'm having the lower drilled and tapped for the ACT sensor.
But with the EGR, is there any way to prep the heads to accept the EGR?
I'm only asking so maybe I don't have to deal with the capping and blocking and check engine codes and whatnot...
Is it impossible/ not worth it?

Also, I think jrichker or TMoss told me this in a thread once, but I lost it in the crash: What are the specs/ sizes for tapping the ACT sensor fitting into the manifold?
J

• Sponsors (?)

Are you talking about heads or intake? The ACT screws into the lower intake while the EGR is attatched to the Spacer that's installed between the throttle body and upper intake plenum. If your machinist is drilling your heads for an ACT sensor then he's on drugs and you're shopping for a new set of heads. hehehe

no no no no no.... Sorry, let me clarify:
He's drilling the lower intake for the ACT sensor.
With regards to the heads, I was under the impression that the coolant lines for the EGR ran into the E7TE heads; I know where the actual EGR is.
So odes the EGR coolant line flow into the stock heads, and if so, can I modify the GT40Ps to accept the GT40P coolant lines?

Thanks

Lots of folks block off the cooling lines going to the EGR spacer with no problems at all. The water supply for the spacer also comes from the lower intake manifold then runs into plumbing that goes between the lower waterpump outlet to the heater core. It doesn't plug into heads.

Yes, the heads have to be drilled for the air pump to be 100% stock emissions legal. However, the pump only puts air into the heads during warm-up and diverts to the cats when warm, which is when the emissions test would be run, so yuou can just bolt the head air tube to the head without drilling it and prob pass a sniffer test.

well, I don't run cats right now anyway, I was just more concerned with having to block things off or plug things up, and which ones to do what to, but as you say, I can just bolt up the tube w/o havng to actually drill and tap anything, right?
Also, what are the specs for drilling and tapping for the ACT sensor?
Thanks,
J

You need a 9/16" dill bit with a 1/2" shank for a 1/2" drill. When the hole has been drilled, use a 3/8" NPT (National Pipe Thread) tap for the ACT.

You can order the bit and tap from McMaster-Carr online.