How to get the Hood Scoop off?

• Sponsors (?)

First you have to remove the hood liner by removing the 14 or so trim fasteners that hold it on. Best to use an actual trim fastener removal tool, they cost $5 and make the task much easier. Funny how the right tool can have that effect... Then unbolt the ground strap and remove the hood liner.

This will expose the 12 or so bolts that hold the scoop on.

As the Haynes manual is so fond of saying; "Installation is the reverse of removal."

I assume you are doing this so you can clean and wax under there and NOT so that you can cut a hole in your hood or some stupid shiot like that...

1.) Grab front of scoop
2.) Pull firmly in upward direction until it rips clean off the hood
3.) Put hood scoop in a well packaged box
4.) Send via FedEx to HoustonGT's door step

Simple as that :shrug:

contrary to what everyone seems to think on here. Cutting out the hood scoop and making it open looks more retro and BETTER than that stupid fake honeycomb we have now :shrug:

Sure ram-air is the best option, but i dont see anything wrong with making the hood open. (other than it will maek the engine dirtier faster)

naa, I just want to get in there and get all the crap out that has built up over the past 2.5 years/43k miles. :(

every time i wash it, extra water finds its way in there. then when i press on the brakes it comes out...but since dirt has built up inside it comes out all nasty. :(

Does anyone else have this problem?

04gtdrop said:
naa, I just want to get in there and get all the crap out that has built up over the past 2.5 years/43k miles. :(

every time i wash it, extra water finds its way in there. then when i press on the brakes it comes out...but since dirt has built up inside it comes out all nasty. :(

Does anyone else have this problem?
You are a good man sir :flag: I too have felt the need to remove the scoop and clean and wax underneath.

And just to be clear: It is normal to want to make the scoop functional, it is wrong to actually do so.

There was a thread just the other day from a guy who cut a f'n hole in his hood and had endless problems. If you want a heat extractor BUY ONE. If you want ram air, get a leaf blower and a power inverter (and a Honda for f'k sake)

Ahh thanks Killy! I guess this is what happens when you have extra time on your hands :rolleyes:

WTF! are you serious?!?!?!?? someone actually did that? Is the thread still around? :eek: :nonono:

The thought never even crossed my mind to try and cut a hole in my hood. But i guess thats not how I think....

I always thought if you wanted a functional hood scoop that bad and you didnt buy a mach 1, that they made them for you GT with the adapter kit....you could just buy the parts and do it right

EDIT to the guy with a hand saw and too much coffee:

Its your car and you paid for it. So do what ever you want to it......I guess

04gtdrop said:
EDIT to the guy with a hand saw and too much coffee:

Its your car and you paid for it. So do what ever you want to it......I guess

Yeah, and when some Honda with less displacement than my 2 liter of Mountain Dew manages to somehow beat them, because 5 of 8 COPs are bad from rain damage, it might finally sink in that the original advice of "Don't cut a hole in your hood, you will regret it!" was the troof.

Shiroelex said:
Yeah, and when some Honda with less displacement than my 2 liter of Mountain Dew manages to somehow beat them, because 5 of 8 COPs are bad from rain damage, it might finally sink in that the original advice of "Don't cut a hole in your hood, you will regret it!" was the troof.

:lol: :rlaugh:

Edit: This leads me to another question...for real. Is it bad to wash out or clean out your motor? i have heard of products that you spray on your engine and i have seen some people at the local car wash spraying the pressure washer in the engine bay as i drive by.

Will water or other liqueds (sp) damage the electrical system? :shrug:

Henceforward said:

yeah, seen this b4. but it never gets old.....what a bunch of idiots! hey guys what does a supercharger do? I dont know, but lets hook up a leaf blower to my car! idiot #1 says to idiot#2...I have a better idea, where is that bottle of NOS?

:nono: :bang: :nonono:

hehe, hey have you seen the civic reality one? with all the stupid civics driving around and the people in the background making the exhuast noise?

(im sure everyone has seen that one, but still damn funny :nice: )

SteedaGTJ22 said:
contrary to what everyone seems to think on here. Cutting out the hood scoop and making it open looks more retro and BETTER than that stupid fake honeycomb we have now :shrug:

Sure ram-air is the best option, but i dont see anything wrong with making the hood open. (other than it will maek the engine dirtier faster)

I'm sorry but I would be worried about doing damage to the motor over time...besides cutting into the hood is irrevesible. :(

The only time i would say its ok, was when i saw the pics of that 2002 orange hard top GT. that the owner took out the 4.6 and put in a 5.4 and the freaking elbow to the intake was sticking out.... :flag:

but each to there own :nice: its just not something i would do

04gtdrop said:
I'm sorry but I would be worried about doing damage to the motor over time...besides cutting into the hood is irrevesible. :(

The only time i would say its ok, was when i saw the pics of that 2002 orange hard top GT. that the owner took out the 4.6 and put in a 5.4 and the freaking elbow to the intake was sticking out.... :flag:

but each to there own :nice: its just not something i would do

OMG no, i think thats hideous when i see 4.6L cars swapped to 5.4s and the engine is sticking out of the hood :puke: I really think thats nasty looking. Get a hood that freakin fits the motor :notnice:

nwapache said:
SteedaGTJ22-is a ricer plant! He cut the hood on his acura integra and everything worked out fine

:scratch: im a ricer plant? Have you even seen my car? And all i've owned is Fords (F-150, 98GT and 02 GT). :nonono: Get a clue buddy. And cutting a hood scoop hole out to make either a ram air or an actually cool/working hood scoop that isn't plastic honeycombed out is not rice.........

Also keep in mind that i still have my stock hood AND honeycomb on there. So i haven't even done this "cut out" modification. So before you start calling people "ricers" (which is an insult to me considering i bet u own or ur family owns more imports than i have OR any of my family have or will) you should really get a clue.