How to use a power steering pulley puller?!

69Rcode_Mach1

Apr 20, 2004
Salt Lake City, Utah
Heheheh I know this may sound dumb but I have rented a powersteering pulley puller and can't seem to figure out how this thing works? Anyone wanna give me a detailed explanation on how to do this??? The sooner the better I need to return this thing ASAP so please help me in a hurry guys....

• Sponsors (?)

Didn't the puller come with instructions? I think the factory shop manual shows how to remove the pulley.

Any decent "real" (not Autozone, Kragen, Pep Boyz etc) auto parts store should be able to do this for you in a couple of minutes.

BTW I bought an inexpensive ($20) power steering pulley remover/installer set and it has paid for itself many times. Although it has some limitations & I have had to improvise a little when using it, the expense was worthwhile. Ironically it had two sets of instructions in the box.

There should be a large-diameter threaded piece with a hole drilled into one end and a hex on the other. There should be a piece that goes into the hole in the end. A hat-shaped peice that threads onto the large threaded piece. A two-piece split collar and a ring to hold the split collar in place.

Here's how mine works, my best recollection:

Insert the small-diameter piece into the end of the threaded piece. Thread the hat-shaped piece onto the threaded shaft. Insert the small-diameter piece into the hole in the pump shaft. turn the hat-shaped piece down untiil it touches the pulley hub. Place the split collars over the pump hub and the flange on the hat-shaped piece. Place the ring over the split collar. Turn the threaded shaft clockwise with one wrench (1/2" on mine) while holding the hex on the hat-shaped piece with another wrench (13/16") until the pulley comes off.

Okay I think that I have the jist of it down but how hard is this supposed to be. I am pushing with all my might and can't seem to get it to budge onceit is tightened. I was expecting something like pulling a harmonic balancer, but Im assuming this just has a point where you bust it off and then it comes free. Or am I doing it wrong?

Like computers: garbage in, garbage out.

Those pulleys have been on there awhile, sometimes it takes a lot of leverage to get 'em off.

A tip for installation: put some white grease on the shaft before installing the pulley. It helps a little when you get the pulley close to where it ought to be.