HP question for all you Techy's

balderman

Dec 6, 2002
Spring City, PA
I have a Vortec on my all stock motor and Vortec says it added about 100hp to put me around 315hp. My question is after I have completeed my new motor GT-40 crate motor with ZGT-40 intake 70mm tb, 70mm MAF and 30lb injectors, will the Vortec still add 100hp or will the gain be more?

Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

They said that it added about 100hp, which is a rough number, given that most drivetrains suck about 25-30% of the power, the power gained to the wheels would be more like 70hp. But, if you swap that onto a crate motor that is built with higher flowing heads and intake, the blower would be able to push in more air than normal, and you probably would be hitting 100+ hp to the wheels from the blower.

Balderman, ie: if you're pushing 16 psi of boost, and you port your heads and put a better cam (maybe more exhaust lift, and overlap) you might be able to make the same hp on less boost (ie: more efficient).. so, it depends if currently the airflow is restricted and that 100 hp you saw wasn't optimal for the boost level... anyways, you might see a bit more, but, you won't see less.. :D

When Vortech claims 100 h/p gains, those are Rear Wheel H/P figures.. atleast from my experience.

My car went from 190RWHP to 316RWHP with nothing but the addition of a Vortech
S-trim @8psi. Thats much more then a 100 flywheel horse increase.

With the GT40 crate motor i would estimate around 425RWHP with 42lb injectors, insted of the 30's, and a ProM80 maf. You might want to concider longtubes and a h pipe for added power.

Just a word about boost pressure - it's not about bosst pressure, it's about flow. Use the blower on a stock intake and make 9# of boost and some HP - put a Cobra/Performer/Street Heat on the very smae engine with no ther changes and boost will probably drop but total air flow will increase. Flow = power.