Hurst T5 shifter guts

woodsnake

15 Year Member
Jan 16, 2007
Hicksville, NY
OK. I bought a Hurst T5 shifter from a guy off a different forum. It acts like it has no springs in side it. I want to find an image that shows what the inside is supposed to look like so I can get the right replacement parts.

Any body have a link/pictures/part numbers for a Hurst shifter for a Ford T5???

• Sponsors (?)

shifters don't have return springs...

it's the shifter block in the top of the trans that has a ball and spring under it that gives the shifter the spring action. As well, if you don't have the plastic cup in the shifter block, the shifter will be sloppy

The "shifter block" is the shifter I am referring to, not the stick.

There are replacement springs available on summit, and new bushings on ebay for like ten bucks. I just want to look at a picture to verify what I think I know...

When I had the car in the shop to install the T5, they didn't match the balance of the new fly wheel to the old.
So I have to take it back to resolve the balance issues. If I can see what I need, I can do it while the trans is out of the car, rather than pulling the trans out again.

Although, I think I should be able to get my shifter repairs accomplished with the trans in the car...

the shifter block has a pin you have to punch through, then the tail shaft unbolts, and comes back and the shifter block comes off at the same time.

it would be easy to pull it off on the car, but more difficult to install it on the car. I've heard of others doing it on the car before...it's just going to require working in some tight spaces.

I'll take pictures in a couple of hours

The hurst shifter for a T-5 doesn't have any springs..neither does the stock shifter. There's a spring and ball on the underside of the shifter block in the tranny where the ball end of the handle meets the shifter block. The shifter should flop around like a wet noodle when not installed...well, maybe not that loose, but you get the idea. There's a split ball inside the shifter turret that you can buy new from Hurst if you need to replace it. Other than that, not much to them.

Check this link out..might help you find what you are looking for..
Mustang tech and info links - Transmission & Electronics

Jim

shifter block, spring, ball and plastic cup.

these are what work to have that spring in the lever when you push the lever left to right in neutral, and for it to pop back to position

these are found in the top of the transmission right under where the shifter bolts to

shifter%20block%20sprint%20and%20ball.jpg

The shifter was assembled when I got it. I just thought it needed a rebuild because it feels like a wet noodle when flopping it around.

Apparently, that's the way it's supposed to be.

My Steeda tri ax was much tighter, I just assumed the Hurst should be similar...