I deserve an engine crane...

gregski

Mar 13, 2010
Sacramento, California
... that and a Darwin award. So I asked the kid accross the street if I could borrow his engine hoist. He is pretty cool and probably in his 20's but younger than me so I call him a kid. We've exchanged tools before on a few occassions so I really didn't understand why he was reluctant to do it this time, well until I saw The Beast!

He said his mom sometimes tosses some of his tools or car parts in the trash when he pisses her off, so I wonder what he did this time, because here are the pictures of what he loaned me in its entirety (first picture) and YES with some Redneck Enginuity (second picture) I actually used it to hoist an engine. Did I drop it, lets not split hairs, it did tilt a little bit ok!

For Extra Credit can you tell me how many wheels are missing?

And yes eventually this will be a review of a new tool.

old%20engine%20crane%201.jpg

old%20engine%20crane%202.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

you don't need any wheels on the crane.,.................just push the car back after the engine is lifted out ........

that is what we did in the old days when all we had was a tripod with a chain block hanging down from the middle..........

my options

so the way I looked at it I had three choices:

1. buy the proper Big Red engine hoist replacement parts from Torin if they even sell them separatelyn (then return the completed jack to the kid being the good sumeritan that I am)

2. buy some metal stock and make the missing parts, including the metal casters which are pretty expensive and I need three of them (again give the completed jack back)

3. swing by the Cheap Chinese Parts Store aka Harbor Freight and pick up a new 1 Ton engine crane for... [wait for it] $98 bucks out the door, and an engine leveler for $26 bucks, (and get to keep it)

You ever wonder how they keep their prices so low, here's some insight... they print their assembly instruction diagrams the size of a human thumb nail, yes that includes all 317 parts, LOL

here are the pics of what was behind door number three:

DSCN3627.jpg

and what do we have here?

DSCN3635.jpg

ORANGE !!!

DSCN3646.jpg

I assembled this part THREE times, and wrong on all three occasions, LOL before I finally got it right.

DSCN3648.jpg

Look at that, WHEELS... the way God intended!

picked up one from costco a few years back. its paid for itself several times over, in gas money to go borrow one, and beer after I have loaned it to buddies.

picked up one from costco a few years back. its paid for itself several times over, in gas money to go borrow one, and beer after I have loaned it to buddies.

same here. it was the goodyear one on special back in 05. came with the leveler. I actually went out and bought a 351W and the guy loaded it in back of the truck. stopped by costco afterwards and bought the hoist at the wifes request (she saw it there the day before). only used it 6 times but what I figured the cost to borrow/rent a hoist and truck to haul it with this thing is paid for. folds up into a corner of my garage.

a good tool

Just wanted to share more pictures of this great tool as it was being put together. After I got the base assembled it was pretty much smooth sailing.

Most of the time my garage is clean and the wife can park a car in it, however it's a mess in these pictures. I left it this way to show that sometimes you just have go for it! I mean you just have to work on your project regardless the obsticales.

How many times did we put something off by saying well I know I need to work on that but the garage is a mess, or I have to move two cars out of the way, or the boat and my motorcycles first... and then we never get around to it.

So here are the pictures with a messy background and all to show we are all bussy but still press on:

DSCN3652.jpg

DSCN3655.jpg

DSCN3656.jpg