I have this combo in my head that I want to build, what do you think? Suggestions?

stangboy

Founding Member
Aug 31, 1999
New Orleans, LA
Hey guys,
This is a combo I've been kinda dreaming up for the past year or so. Its gonna be a while before I can build it because its gonna be a big costly and I have a baby on the way right now. But I still would like to know what you guys think of it and what kind of power you think it could make. I'm also open to suggestions. When I build it I want to do it right the first time. It will be a weekend street toy that might see some occasional passes at the strip. I would be putting it in the coupe in my sig. Here it is:

CHP Dominator Big bore 428W
AFR 225 heads
Custom cam from FTI(Ed Curtis)
1.6RRs or whatever size Ed suggest
Spyder intake
90mm TB
MSD dist., coil, & ignition
Aeromotive 1000hp fuel system
not sure what size injectors I would need
not sure what size MAF
Spec twin disc clutch kit
T56
3.55 or 3.73 gear
31 spline Moser axles and Detroit Truetrac diff.

I'm not sure I want use a solid or hydraulic roller cam. I want to shift somewhere in the neighborhood of 6800-7000.

As for suspension:
UPR front suspension kit(K-member, A-arms, coilovers)
UPR rear kit(adjustable UCAs and LCAs)
UPR C/C plates
Eibach rear springs
Eibach front and rear swaybars
Full length subframe connectors
Minitubs...I want to be able put 335s out back and be able to switch to a nice size slick

Sorry this was so long. I'm open to suggestions, insight, whatever. :D

• Sponsors (?)

That'll be mean as hell! If you consider 1.5HP/CI and 15% drivetrain loss, you're looking at almost 550 HP at the wheels N/A. Of course that's a wild estimate, but you get the idea. If you pull this off, make sure to post lots of pictures! :nice:

By spider intake i'm assuming that's the Victor Jr carbed intake drilled and tapped for injectors? That should work great with the 225's. Those are some pretty rowdy heads...Ed will likely give you a cam with .650+ lift and a shatload of duration to go with it. Being a 351, your best bet if you're serious about this combo is a solid roller but they're pretty high maintenance....bit it'll rev to the moon that way. Is this a stock block or aftermarket? Hell if you wanna go balls out with it, get a Man-O-War 351 block and stroke it to 460ci. Talk about big block race engine power in a small block package!

I hope in a couple of years I'll be able to at least START putting this together. I know it should make 500+ to the wheels with ease. Thats my goal. Everybody is going with forced induction these days. I just want to make the power they make NA'd. I want to keep the compression ratio under 11:1, preferably around 10.5:1. The thing I'm wondering about is are the 225 heads a little too much for this NA combo. I was reading up on them and they seem to be good above 7000rpm. I don't want to have to rev too much higher than 7000rpm, this is gonna be a street car. So, it kinda seems like they would be better suited if I had forced induction....but maybe I'm thinking too much.

I've seen stories of several broken A-arms and a couple k members, and supposedly there's a lawsuit pending for 2 kids that got killed in a fox that broke an a-arm just cruisin down the street. I'll spend a few extra bucks on good stuff.

Ive never heard anything bad about UPR, and it usually only takes one horror story on the internet to scare 100 people away from a product. Team Z also makes a pretty nice k-member

Ive never heard anything bad about UPR, and it usually only takes one horror story on the internet to scare 100 people away from a product. Team Z also makes a pretty nice k-member

Team Z seems to have very high quality stuff. As far as UPR there has been a lot more than one horror story. There was one thread of a brand new a arm someone recieved with some type of big defect or crack in the metal. Not cool at all imo.

Didn't mean to hijack the thread with this bs though. Sounds like a sweet combo