I just found out that i have a 4 banger trans is it worth anything

murphmaster5

Oct 2, 2005
PA
well i went to put a steel throwout bearing retainer on and it didn't fit so ran the tag and came up as 4 cylinder trans, I take it i cant use it with the setup I'm going with so is it worth anything at all thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

murphmaster5 said:
well i went to put a steel throwout bearing retainer on and it didn't fit so ran the tag and came up as 4 cylinder trans, I take it i cant use it with the setup I'm going with so is it worth anything at all thanks.

A friend of mine ran a 4 cyl trans on his stang for quite a while (1-2yrs), and it held up just fine. His setup was the same as what you have in your sig. He did not go easy on that trans. I bought it a while back and the internals still look pretty decent.

jason

murphmaster5 said:

Welcome to the club, I just got the same thing. You didnt by chance buy it off of Ebay did you?

BTW, you can use it behind a 5.0, you will need a different pilot bearing that you can get off of Ebay for about 10.00 shipped but I have also heard that you can get it from NAPA. Its the bearing for a early 80's Ranger with a 4cyl Deisel engine. Not 100% on that one though.

Depending on what gear ratio you have in the rear. The 4cyl trans might not be to bad. It has a 3.94 1st gear instead of the 3.35 or 2.95 of the V8 T5's. If you have 4.10's like me, the gears are gonna go pretty quick.

no i didnt get it off ebay it came in my car when i got it and now i have it tour down and im starting to get things back together and this s$#t happens, This isnt in my budget i dont have 700 to pull out of my ass, im gonna have to throw it in and hope for the best i was hoping when my motor got done i would be done for a while, Do you guys no if i will lose any power by useing this trans cause i have like three of my friends that are wayting to get some in there Ls1's

why would you lose any power? :shrug:

it's a transmissions nonetheless, rated a little lower than the v8 tranny; beating hard and 1/4 passes may let it live for 3 weeks, maybe for 1-2years like one of the guys said up there. t5's i've learned are VERY hit or miss.

You wont lose any power. Like I said, the gear ratios in the 4cyl T5 are steeper than in thier V8 counter parts. With a 3.94 1st gear, the off the line accelleration should be nice. Here is a link with different casting numbers for T5's
http://www.allfordmustangs.com//Detailed/349.shtml
Make sure the correct pilot bushing is in the crank. If you use a standard V8 pilot bushing, its too big and the input shaft will wobble around in there. I have researched it some since I got a 4 cyl tranny when it was supposed to be V8 T5, and it seems that several people have had good luck with them and have subjected them to abuse. Others warn to stay away from them and to baby them. Bottom line is you can use it and you wont lose any power. You may experience better accelleration from the lower gears in the tranny, just be aware that Ford only rated them at 240 ftlbs of torque.

86bluecobra said:
even the V-8 T-5 suck. They are hit and miss i have had 6 of them in my car. Now i have a world class t-5 i hope it lasts.
Your 86 should have come with a WC T5. Seems to me they started in using WC boxes in '85. They increased in torque handling over the years. Most of the aftermarket WC T5's are more akin to the Z spec box.

Try buying a brand new T5Z from summit, install it, fill it with fluid and the first time ya shift into 5th it grinds!! Grinds every damn time when going into 5th and NO WARRANTY right out of the box!! Sucks!! Next time I'll upgrade to a TKO!