I just got a motor.

nickg42oz

Founding Member
Dec 16, 2000
New Orleans, LA
I just picked up a 90 5.0 out of a lincioln. It was 50 bucks. My friend at the shop that had the motor said some old guy wanted a new motor because this one burned oil. I think its just a ring. I was wondering if this motor had forged pistons? Im going to have it rebuilt, and I was wondering if the pistons were forged or not? FYI the motor is getting stripped and put back together with whats below.

• Sponsors (?)

Was it a lincoln or a lincoln LSC? Big difference. The LSC actually used the EXACT same engines as the 5.0 mustangs. If the upper intake is still on it and it has the 5.0 HO plate on it, you've struck gold. Otherwise no, the motor will not have forged pistons.

If it is not an HO motor you will also have a completely different firing order in that engine, so keep that in mind. though it is not difficult at all to convert it to HO. Rebuild that engine with some good pistons, through a HO cam in there, use your intake and your good.

I got a motor out of a 91 Lincoln mark 7, same exact motor as a mustang and it had forged pistons in it. I have about $600 in machine work and $460 in a rebuild kit. But I'm building it myself, have all my clearance's checked, endplays, ring gaps, now just need to wash everything and build the shortblock. Going into a 93 GT.

I found 2 lincoln's in the junk yard with the 5.0's in them and both have the HO plate on the intake. I want to get one to build but I didn't know if they were the same block as the mustang. The intakes on both Lincoln's are turned opposite than the mustang intake. I can get one of the engine's complete for about $50. Is the motor worth getting?

89bluegt said:
I found 2 lincoln's in the junk yard with the 5.0's in them and both have the HO plate on the intake. I want to get one to build but I didn't know if they were the same block as the mustang. The intakes on both Lincoln's are turned opposite than the mustang intake. I can get one of the engine's complete for about $50. Is the motor worth getting?

YES. There are no differences in the longblock. The intake is different as you mentioned, and all LSC's were speed density throughout their production into the 90's. Someone mentioned the LSC's having E6 heads in another post, but I believe on the '87+ cars they are E7's just like the stangs. Pull a valve cover and check for the E7 stamping to be sure. BTW, not all lincolns had the HO motors; only the sport coupes.

NKau said:
YES. There are no differences in the longblock. The intake is different as you mentioned, and all LSC's were speed density throughout their production into the 90's. Someone mentioned the LSC's having E6 heads in another post, but I believe on the '87+ cars they are E7's just like the stangs. Pull a valve cover and check for the E7 stamping to be sure. BTW, not all lincolns had the HO motors; only the sport coupes.
Thanks for the help man! :nice:

Actually the 1987 mark 7 had 2 motor options, the non ho 302 that was 150 horsepower and the ho which was 200 hp and used e6 heads. All mark 7's after 1987 used the same HO motors as the mustangs, and they all had e7's.

89bluegt said:
I went back to the junk yard today and both the cars I had seen before were 89 lincolns and do not have HO on the name plate. They only have 5.0 EFI on them. Are they still worth getting? I really just want a block to build.

The crankshaft should be the same regardless of it being a HO or non-HO. All mark 7's used e7's and were HO's starting in 1988. The 1987 mark 7 LSC's had a HO engine that was essentially a leftover 1986 mustang engine, 200 hp with e6's. 1987 Bill Blass Mark 7's and all Town Car's have the non-HO engine. All of the crankshafts are the same, no matter what car/truck they come out of or whether or not they are HO or non-HO.

Ok so Im going to strip the motor to the bare block. I need new pistons, rigs, rods? I can use the same crank. I still have the old one from my old 302 that I cracked the block on. I also have the rods and pistons. Should I reuse those. I would bring all of it to a shop first to be checked and cleaned. I guess what I want to know is what can I reuse off my old motor to put in the Lincoln block. Also what off the Lincoln motor can I reuse. The lincoln did'nt have an upper intake only the lower so I dont know if it is the HO. I did'nt see E7 on the head but I'll double check.