I think my motor let go after one day with the blower

98GTfromGA

Founding Member
Mar 17, 2002
Memphis
I just got the car back yesterday from being dynotuned. AFR was 12.0 timing was very conservative. Last night I drove it about 15 miles. I go to crank it and it cranks fine I back out of a parking spot and pull up a few feet and the car dies. It started back up but was running real rough so I put it in a parking spot and it died again. I tried to restart it and it would catch but run rough and then die within 10 seconds. It spins over but it sounds like I can hear some loose metal in the block.

I am running a s-trim with the 3.60" pulley it made almost 10psi on the dyno. I'm expecting the worse, I think it broke a rod or piston.

• Sponsors (?)

whats your mileage when you put on the blower? did you do a compression check before?

if 10psi with a conservative tune killed your motor, it was on its last leg to begin with.

id start with the easy stuff first, compression check, etc. if compression on all 8 check out fine, and you have fuel and spark, the engine will run even if you are getting rod knock. if by some chance you blew a hole through a piston or melted it, youll know when you find 0psi on one or a few cylinders.

head gasket could be a culprit, but the car would still likely run, youd have to lose half the gasket on one bank to not be able to run decent on a V8.

motor had 130,000 miles on it prior to blower install, it was fine it made 267 rwhp on the dyno when it was n/a, yes its stock internals and the 10 psi was at 6200 rpm probably more like 9psi at 5500

AF ratio in the 12.0 range is too lean for a daily driver...you would be better in the 11.8 range at most. check your chip and make sure its in there snug. I had a similar problem when the SCT chip came loose. they ended up giving me a new chip as it was faulty and the problem went away. could also be the driveability side of the tune causing this. Hopefully you didn't hurt the motor on day 1

AF ratio in the 12.0 range is too lean for a daily driver...you would be better in the 11.8 range at most. check your chip and make sure its in there snug. I had a similar problem when the SCT chip came loose. they ended up giving me a new chip as it was faulty and the problem went away. could also be the driveability side of the tune causing this. Hopefully you didn't hurt the motor on day 1

it was tuned with a xcalibrator so there is no chip

As already posted check to see if any of your piping blew off from your supercharger to your intake it could also be a problem with you MAF.

Samething happened to me last year driving down the road I heard a loud wosh after going WOT, then the car ran rough and died. I thought I blew the motor but when I poped the hood there was pipe from my intercooler disconected.

As for the MAF being bad I just had this problem last week. I put a MAFia on my car and it was a POS and scewing up my AFR and making my car run rough or not at all. Pulled it off and car runs fine and a SCT MAF is going on Monday along with a retune!

As already posted check to see if any of your piping blew off from your supercharger to your intake it could also be a problem with you MAF.

Samething happened to me last year driving down the road I heard a loud wosh after going WOT, then the car ran rough and died. I thought I blew the motor but when I poped the hood there was pipe from my intercooler disconected.

As for the MAF being bad I just had this problem last week. I put a MAFia on my car and it was a POS and scewing up my AFR and making my car run rough or not at all. Pulled it off and car runs fine and a SCT MAF is going on Monday along with a retune!

This is the second time ive heard about the SCT MAF, i just bought the lightening MAF, is there a difference between the two?

I would check all of your tubing for the blower, and for vaccume leaks. If you find nothing you could have spun the bearings. This could happen at high rpm like when it was on the dyno. Also 11.8 is where your AF ratio should be at. I spun the brearings in my engine 1 month after supercharging it. :mad: