I'm in FL right now

• Sponsors (?)

I was in FL for the Pepsi 400 race and spent a week at my buddys house. Its cool down there but it sucks when you get all showered and squeaky clean, put on some nice clothes to go out to olive garden or something but as soon as you walk out the door its instant sweat. Bleh.

Moving down there is a complete waste of time and effort.. I moved 2 years ago thinking its this wonderland.. Wel guess what it sucks. Im now moved back to the north east where homes and jobs are better and cheaper..

Actually he is right, his opinion is shared by many who actually live here. And of course it all depends on WHERE in Florida you live or visit.

I have been in South Florida for a long time now, and I can't wait to get out. Since the housing boom a few years ago, the houses are insanely priced, and because most of the big industry moved away, South Florida is mainly a service market. Meaning the jobs don't pay all that well.

Here in Palm Springs, Florida.....which is mid-Palm Beach County...houses are way over priced. I own a 2/2 town house with no garage, approx 1200 sq/ft. They are selling for between $170,000 and $200,000 in my area. FOR A TOWN HOUSE! Imagine what the homes are selling for. We are quickly growing out of our home, and I want a garage...so we had been looking at homes. Well, if we want to live in a decent area, we need to plan on spending around $300,000 for a house. Where as my folks moved to Houston and bought a nice 4/3 with a detached 2 car garage, in a great area for $140,000. The jobs seem to pay well out there too.

So comparing South Florida to a lot of the rest of the country, it simply isn't worth it.

Again, I am talking about the Palm Beach County area.....I am not sure about North Florida or West Florida. But around here, it is simply TOO expensive to live. Plus the school systems suck horribly, which is only a big deal if you have children.

I have lived in Orlando since 1987 and it used to be a really nice place to live. Now it pretty much sucks. Like Fett said it is primarily a service economy, around here dominated by Disney, Univeral, etc., so the jobs generally don't pay that well. 6 years ago that wasn't a big deal but with the housing market going crazy all it mean is lots of working folks can't afford to buy a house or rent one. And they converted a bunch of the apartments into condos so the price of even crappy apartments went through the roof.

Fortunately we have had our house for quite a while so the surge in housing prices really helped us. Our house more than doubled in value since around 01/02.

Other than that its hot, humid and half the people don't speak english or seem to want to learn. I am looking forward to getting the heck out of here in the next few years. There are lots of reports on how many people are moving here but what they don't show is that alot of the longtime residents have had it and are leaving at a pretty big rate.

Actually he is right, his opinion is shared by many who actually live here. And of course it all depends on WHERE in Florida you live or visit.

I have been in South Florida for a long time now, and I can't wait to get out. Since the housing boom a few years ago, the houses are insanely priced, and because most of the big industry moved away, South Florida is mainly a service market. Meaning the jobs don't pay all that well.

Here in Palm Springs, Florida.....which is mid-Palm Beach County...houses are way over priced. I own a 2/2 town house with no garage, approx 1200 sq/ft. They are selling for between $170,000 and $200,000 in my area. FOR A TOWN HOUSE! Imagine what the homes are selling for. We are quickly growing out of our home, and I want a garage...so we had been looking at homes. Well, if we want to live in a decent area, we need to plan on spending around $300,000 for a house. Where as my folks moved to Houston and bought a nice 4/3 with a detached 2 car garage, in a great area for $140,000. The jobs seem to pay well out there too.

So comparing South Florida to a lot of the rest of the country, it simply isn't worth it.

Again, I am talking about the Palm Beach County area.....I am not sure about North Florida or West Florida. But around here, it is simply TOO expensive to live. Plus the school systems suck horribly, which is only a big deal if you have children.

Same story in the Orlando Fl area. If you aren't skinny kid (and I am not) working outside is tough during the summer months. The 95 degree heat and 100% humidity make for instant sauna bath. My glasses slide off my face and onto what I am working on after about 30 seconds of effort.

It is nice durning the winter. I really don't have much for winter clothes, and the heat in my Mustang hasn't worked since I bought the car in 92. I don't miss either one...

your attitude sucks.

It may suck but the people who actually live there know what im saying is the truth.. I had a 1 bedroom apartment in altamonte springs in a middle of the line community it was 744 a month + utilities. Mind you this is in a nicer area but not a top of the line complex.. My car got broken into 2 times.. The jobs pay chit because they will just hire some illegal cheaper.. Now im Back in Pa for 2 months i got a parts counter job at a pontiac dealer and im making nearly double a month what did down there. And the apartment im getting here is 450 a month 2 bedrooms and all utilities included.. Hell a starter house down there is close to 200k with one acre of land.. Up here a 4 bed 2 bath starter house with garage on 3 acres is about 100k. So its sunny all year down there but the high crime rate ,lack of jobs and lack of seasons diminishes that. Just some food for thought.. :rolleyes:

Yea, I am lucky enough to have a job indoors that pays well. I am paid enough for my Wife to stay home and raise our Daughter. But even if she were to work, we still wouldn't have enough of an income to buy a new home.

Which is why our plan is to sell our townhouse and move out of state. We are also lucky enough to have bought before the big market boom and stand to walk away with a good amount of money....but even if we walk with $100k in pocket, what kind of house can we buy? Drop the whole thing on a down payment for a $300k home and still have a $2k mortgage? No thank you. We will take that money to some place like Houston, put half of it down on a nice $130k home, have a low mortgage and still have a nice chunk to put in the bank.

This past year was the first year more people moved out of Florida than moved in...that should say something about the "sunshine state". Plus I am SICK of worrying about hurricanes. Not only do you have to deal with the potential of a storm that can relocate your home....you have to deal with the power outages after a storm that doesn't even hit you. No power, no work....all around general suckiness.

I like visiting but I sure as hell wouldn't wanna live there.

FWIW I'm in MI now and am coming back tomorrow. Don't wanna :(

FWIW again, don't wanna live here either.

My friend just recently paid $220k for a town house in Sussex County, NJ. We up here are far from what the most expensive parts of NJ are like. The house I live in with my parents we stole for $160k in 1998, and it was appraised in 2006 at $430k. NOTHING has changed in the house other than replacing a few old appliances and some more paint and drywall looking a little crappier than it did 9 years ago.

Similarly, next month I am moving into my own apartment in Hackettstown, NJ for $750/mo which includes heat and hot water. That is the "Phase 1" section of the complex. "Phase 2" is the same price but you get no utilities. That is also the crappiest complex in the area. The other two I checked out are a bit nicer but I was quoted $915 and $955/mo ($1050 if i want one with a balcony) and most others for miles and miles are the same...

Compared to here, FL is still kinda cheap.

I like Florida.......but I grew up in downtown Chicago where all the homes are really expensive and the cold/wind...I like visiting in the winter, but shat man I can't do cold anymore....The only complaint I have about Florida is the drivers/traffic sucks....Floridians can't drive worth shat and traffic well all the cars are running and your sitting in heat even with the A/C on it is still sucks.