I'm Looking for a more aggressive cat-back while runing a (2) catted h-pipe

ty1er

Dec 21, 2009
Long time lurker, first time poster. Want to say hello to everyone here. I have got a lot of useful information from browsing this forum!
Anyways, I just receintly crossed over to the dark side "aka bought a ford..heh" and picked up a 93 Stock LX. So far, I'm loving it.

It had a O/R H-Pipe and flowmaster mufflers. I'm not sure if the flows are 2 or 3 chamber, I'm gussing that they are 3s. I love the way it sounded.. deep and throaty and as the RPMs increase it got louder and meaner sounding all the way up to WOT. The only thing I dislike about it was the fumes from not running cats.

Since I use the car as a DD I deiceided to install a magnaflow (2) cat 2.5" H-Pipe to fix the fumes. After installing it the fumes were all gone, but so is the sound!!

It still sounds ok, but muted. It lost all that deep aggressive sound. My question, what are my options to get a louder deep throaty sound back? While running the catted h-pipe. I was thinking about modifing my flowmaster cat back with different mufflers, but I'm not sure if that would be worth the hasle... Any suggestions? anyone in a simalar situation and have sound clips of there catted setups?

Thanks!
-ty1er//

• Sponsors (?)

I'm not sure why you had fumes from your off-road H, that doesn't sound right. Was it older and leaking:shrug:? Magnaflow has a nice cat back a friend ran on his 93 Cobra with a Magnaflow catted X, it sounded good- though nothing sounds like Ford Racing headers, off road H and Flowmaster 2 chambers, I love setting off my ex wifes car alarm every time I fire it up when I pick up the kids:D! Its all I'll ever have on mine:nice: And congratulations on the first post, well done! Lol!

By fumes I meant that typical smell of not running cats on a 18year old car. Since I use that car as a DD, when sitting in traffic the smell gets a little old.

I found out that the cat-back currently on the car is the "Flowmaster, Exhuast Kit Force I" Model number Flo-17103. Got do some searching an find out which mufflers came on that system.

My buddy has a Bassani cat-back that he is not using, I'm might get in touch with him to see if he wants to get rid of it.

I found this video on Youtube with a nice comparison between a bassani cat-back runing with the stock H-pipe, then with a bassani catted X. Sounds pretty good for a car that still is running cats.

YouTube - Fox Body Mustang with Bassani Exhaust

Bassani would be my recommendation. I am running a Bassani catback on my 03. I have no cats, but I did run it with a 2 cat midpipe for a while & it still had an aggressive sound even with the cats...SLP is TOO loud IMO, it will sound like you have no cats, even with cats installed...

I had Bassani catback behind a catted H-pipe on my 90GT and loved it. I fully recommend it. I've heard of people selling SLP kits after being pulled over too many times. They're that loud.

my bassanis sound just like the 3" dynomax ultraflows that they replaced, if you are looking for something a little different check out spintechs, those will make any car sound piissed off

I ended up getting in touch with my buddy.... I was wrong he has a MAC cat back Flowpaths (not a Bassini) that he bought a few years back but never used. The mac cat back looked killer, and the whole system is ball and socket connections. From the axle back is polish stainless with a 3" slash with a rolled edge. Very very pretty looking! The I couldnt pass it up the deal, the system was was brand new and still in the protective plastic wrapping.

Installation when well, I got the tails pretty damn stright. Its nice being able to adjust all the pipes since its all ball n socket connections or remove the system if needed to replace a gas tank or something.

Now, on to the important stuff..... sound.

The difference between these and the flowmasters 3 chambers i removed on a Catted magnaflow H-pipe is noticable. The Flowpaths have a deeper tone to them,a more aggressive sound. It is simalar to Flowmasters but better. Inside the car between 1000 and 1900rpms it is rather quite. If im driving around 70ish on the highway (2200rpms) its a nice sound to nice to it, its not overly loud. They do not have a drone. The FMs had a slight drone. The Flowpath sound is deeper, and it doesnt resonate in the car at all to me. Its got a great tone.

It is kinda quite inside the car. But a few times I let me Dad take it for a clip and i was able to hear it from the outside of the car. I my reaction was, damn that my stock fox... it sounds excellent on the outside.
I'm still tempted to through my O/R H-pipe back on. I'm dieing to hear what that whats sounds like with it. I'm guessing that it might be a bit too loud, but im sure it would be really aggressive and scream at WOT.

I'll try to get some pics or sound clips up when I get a chance.

-ty1er//

I get complements on my Pypes violator cat back. its a straight through muffler thats tame under 2k but on my O/R Hpipe gets kinda loud around 2500. im betting with a catted h it would sound a lot better. Stainless steel construction.

Great choice on the MAC. I put that set on mine almost 10 years ago and never gave a second thought about another system. I would kill for a pair of those 3" rolled tips - they don't sell them separately from the 3" system :(

My Mod Fox car is a 4.6L 32V motor with stock manifolds, Bassani o/r X-pipe and a MAgnaflow Magnapack cat-back. Sounds terrible. The start up and idle is great, but any RPM....it's wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy too loud. I'm either catting that pipe or changing to Flowmasters.

I ended up getting in touch with my buddy.... I was wrong he has a MAC cat back Flowpaths (not a Bassini) that he bought a few years back but never used. The mac cat back looked killer, and the whole system is ball and socket connections. From the axle back is polish stainless with a 3" slash with a rolled edge. Very very pretty looking! The I couldnt pass it up the deal, the system was was brand new and still in the protective plastic wrapping.

Installation when well, I got the tails pretty damn stright. Its nice being able to adjust all the pipes since its all ball n socket connections or remove the system if needed to replace a gas tank or something.

Now, on to the important stuff..... sound.

The difference between these and the flowmasters 3 chambers i removed on a Catted magnaflow H-pipe is noticable. The Flowpaths have a deeper tone to them,a more aggressive sound. It is simalar to Flowmasters but better. Inside the car between 1000 and 1900rpms it is rather quite. If im driving around 70ish on the highway (2200rpms) its a nice sound to nice to it, its not overly loud. They do not have a drone. The FMs had a slight drone. The Flowpath sound is deeper, and it doesnt resonate in the car at all to me. Its got a great tone.

It is kinda quite inside the car. But a few times I let me Dad take it for a clip and i was able to hear it from the outside of the car. I my reaction was, damn that my stock fox... it sounds excellent on the outside.
I'm still tempted to through my O/R H-pipe back on. I'm dieing to hear what that whats sounds like with it. I'm guessing that it might be a bit too loud, but im sure it would be really aggressive and scream at WOT.

I'll try to get some pics or sound clips up when I get a chance.

-ty1er//
Thanks for the write-up. Can't wait to hear it. :nice:

I get complements on my Pypes violator cat back. its a straight through muffler thats tame under 2k but on my O/R Hpipe gets kinda loud around 2500. im betting with a catted h it would sound a lot better. Stainless steel construction.

My sisters GT has Pypes Violators on it. It also had a 2 cat midpipe. It was quiet, not at all what I was expecting. We have since put an Explorer motor in and an off road Prochamber, and sure enough it is still fairly mellow. My O/R X with dumped spintechs is a lot louder through the RPMs and my brothers O/R X with dumped Hooker Max Flow mufflers is a lot louder as well, even when they both had tailpipes. The Pypes have actually been the largest muffler disappointment in the tons of exhaust set ups we have had over the years.

My sisters GT has Pypes Violators on it. It also had a 2 cat midpipe. It was quiet, not at all what I was expecting. We have since put an Explorer motor in and an off road Prochamber, and sure enough it is still fairly mellow. My O/R X with dumped spintechs is a lot louder through the RPMs and my brothers O/R X with dumped Hooker Max Flow mufflers is a lot louder as well, even when they both had tailpipes. The Pypes have actually been the largest muffler disappointment in the tons of exhaust set ups we have had over the years.

When I had my 03 GT for a short period of time the MAC Pro-chamber was very mellow with the Flowmasters. Very nice sound, but quiet.

Well, I got the itch the other day so I put my O/R H-pipe back on..... OMG It sounds soooo good! If I didn't have any close neighbors I would keep it like that. But unforchunately I do, and its to loud early in the morning when I'm leaving for work...... O'well, I'm gonna have to put my catted H back on....

I wish there was a happy meduim between running with cats and without..

I've had macs on three different mustangs two with an off road h and one with an off road x and I gotta say they sound the best in my opinion.. One car had pypes violators catback which sounded like a **** pair of $20 turbo mufflers.

Had bullets on another car with dumps and it sounded like ass.. ended up going turbo on that car and it sounded even more like ass so installed a cutout and bolted a mac catback on and it sounds better. Open the cutout for when the car sees a race.