I'm sanding down the stang! Question

EEM

Jan 10, 2006
So I've taken on the project of sanding the existing paint off my 67 coupe. I started today and got all the paint down to the metal off the passenger side rear quarter panel. As I sanded I discovered areas of body filler, nothing too bad just evening out dents from the past for the most part.

However, when I got down to the area below the side vents I came across alot of body filler. So I sanded and sanded and I went through about 1/4" of it before getting down to the bare metal. I discovered that the entire area that was bondoed underneath the vent had effectively "broken" away from the rest of the panel and was sunk a little farther back. It was "held" together with the bondo along the crack. I really don't know how bad the rust is since I ran out of daylight.

So I have a few questions. 1.) How are the panels attached? Are they welded or what? 2.) How should I fix this? I don't know how to weld. Get a shop to weld in a piece of steel? Or does the entire panel need to be replaced? I guess this question kind of depends on how bad the rust is underneath but I won't know until I get at it tommorrow. I'll post pictures too.

I think that's it for now.

Thanks!

-Emile

• Sponsors (?)

So I've taken on the project of sanding the existing paint off my 67 coupe. I started today and got all the paint down to the metal off the passenger side rear quarter panel. As I sanded I discovered areas of body filler, nothing too bad just evening out dents from the past for the most part.

However, when I got down to the area below the side vents I came across alot of body filler. So I sanded and sanded and I went through about 1/4" of it before getting down to the bare metal. I discovered that the entire area that was bondoed underneath the vent had effectively "broken" away from the rest of the panel and was sunk a little farther back. It was "held" together with the bondo along the crack. I really don't know how bad the rust is since I ran out of daylight.

So I have a few questions. 1.) How are the panels attached? Are they welded or what? 2.) How should I fix this? I don't know how to weld. Get a shop to weld in a piece of steel? Or does the entire panel need to be replaced? I guess this question kind of depends on how bad the rust is underneath but I won't know until I get at it tommorrow. I'll post pictures too.

I think that's it for now.

Thanks!

-Emile

A picture would really help describe the area and the amount of work needed. If Im thinking right, it sounds like the area where the roof sections meets the rear 1/4 panel. If this is the correct area, back in the 60's they were using lead. They would spotweld the body together and you were left with a 1-1.5" wide gap where there was no metal, just the sub structure. IT was leaded over and smoothed and then painted. If this is the area, all you need to do is bondo back over it. Lead can still be used, but technology of bondo vs health hazards of lead...you choose. Bondo in my opinion is the way to go, some people do not thing so.

I just reread what you posted. Sounds like its the rockerpanel / 1/4 panel area...im confused

Phone around and find a good rod/restoration shop. Get some prices.

It's not too bad to fix by the pictures, but unfortunately there often is hidden rust.

If it were just those two spots, I would have the offending sections cut out, flange it, and buy a patch panel, even if it means a whole quarter panel, and then cutting the patch pieces from it.

Usually with rust there is more than meets the eye. especially around the wheel well flanges, and behind the wheel wells.

Is your car a daily driver?

It was for awhile but I have another car I beat around. I decided to tackle this because i don't have to depend on it right now. My original plan was to sand it down and primer it section by section. I don't know how this changes things though. I'm concerned about leaving the bare metal exposed to the elements since I don't have a garage to store it in. I guess the good thing is that this is Texas and it was in the 60s yesterday.

It looks like it is pretty solid to me but the pictures are small. If it is solid you should be able to have somebody to weld it back. If the metal is thin from rust it should be replaced. The whole quarter shouldn't have to be replaced if the rest of it is good. You can take out the interior to see how bad it looks from the back side.

Ok I have some pictures of the damage now

View attachment 414356

View attachment 414358

Hope that helps

thats not bad...if you have a welder, just weld it shut...you will spend a lot of time doing 100's of little tacks, but its not bad enough in my opinion to worry about a patch panel.

Id hammer it smooth and just weld it... if you have to, weld in afiller panel on the back side. You should be able to access it from inside the car under the 1/4 window.

Alright thanks, that will be my prject today. Do any of you have recommendations on how to keep the area that I have sanded down protected from rain and such until I can get it repaired? Maybe tape some trash bags or something over it?

Alright thanks, that will be my prject today. Do any of you have recommendations on how to keep the area that I have sanded down protected from rain and such until I can get it repaired? Maybe tape some trash bags or something over it?

just use some primer to prime it.... when you get to welding it, just sand on each side of the crack 1" or so...when you are done fixing it, reprime it or it will flash rust

OK I took off some of the interior trim to see what was going on underneath...

Here's a bigger picture of one of the first:

RestoStang002.jpg

Here's a picture at the bottom of the rear quarter window, if you can see that lower portion that is "broken away" from the rest of the quarter panel is actually a patch from awhile ago. Its a little hard to see.

RestoStang007.jpg

This is a better picture of the "patch." It can be seen at the bottom of the picture.

RestoStang009.jpg

This is what concerns me about the whole quarter panel. This picture is taken at the top of the quarter panel. As you can see, at the bottom it appears fine, all the original paint is still on there in pretty good condition. But above its got alot of rust. I knocked on it and the sound is much different. Its not to the point where its about to rust through, but I think it needs to be taken care of.

RestoStang008.jpg

Attachments

• RestoStang002.jpg
    RestoStang002.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 57
  • RestoStang007.jpg
    RestoStang007.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 57
  • RestoStang009.jpg
    RestoStang009.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 55
  • RestoStang008.jpg
    RestoStang008.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 59
the bigger pictures definately help... Id weld as much as you could and fill in the rest with some dynaglass. por15 the inside and dont sweat it to much. I dunno how much experience you have welding body panels, but if you start cutting and welding in patch panels, chances are the panel is going to warp. If your patch isnt really smooth with the contour of the metal, you are going to use more bondo trying to cover up the patch and blending it in.

I just went to a body and paint shop to get their take on the situation. I told him I was planning on just using spray primer to coat the metal and he suggested a two part epoxy applied with a spray gun. He said that the rust will come through the primer or something like that and it wouldn't be a good idea to use it. What have you guys done, how well does spray primer work? What are your suggestions?

Thanks

I just went to a body and paint shop to get their take on the situation. I told him I was planning on just using spray primer to coat the metal and he suggested a two part epoxy applied with a spray gun. He said that the rust will come through the primer or something like that and it wouldn't be a good idea to use it. What have you guys done, how well does spray primer work? What are your suggestions?

Thanks

epoxy primer is great but doesnt like to be sanded... how soon are you going to fix it?? If its not long, I wouldnt bother prime that area, just sand down the rust when you get ready to prime it again.

Epoxy primer is great stuff to prime the car and seal it from any rust. I always prime my cars with epoxy primer when all the bodywork is done. Get ready to shell out some money, its $80+ a quart.

Yea money is an issue right now. As long as the spray primer is effective I think I'll go with that. I plan to prime it as soon as I can, as soon as the rain stops so I can apply bondo and then I'll be good to prime it. I don't plan to paint it for at least 6 months so as long as I get the body fixed up, I can go back and do the epoxy primer later. I just need something right now to protect the metal from oxidizing while it waits for paint.

The rust at the top is probably more surface rust than anything. It's always hard to tell by a picture though. Some navel jelly, steel wool and some elbow grease would get the most of that if you wanted it off. If you POR 15 it get all the loose rust off. After looking at the enlarged pictures I would be inclined to put a new patch in but that is up to you. Single stage primer will let moisture through but it would be better than nothing though. SPI sells an epoxy primer that many say are second to none and isn't real expensive. I've never used it though. http://www.southernpolyurethanes.com/Pricing Info.htm

Yea money is an issue right now. As long as the spray primer is effective I think I'll go with that. I plan to prime it as soon as I can, as soon as the rain stops so I can apply bondo and then I'll be good to prime it. I don't plan to paint it for at least 6 months so as long as I get the body fixed up, I can go back and do the epoxy primer later. I just need something right now to protect the metal from oxidizing while it waits for paint.

Rusty Red Rustoleum spray can primer will hold up for a long, long time. I've stripped cars, primered them with that stuff, and let them set outside in the weather for a couple of years with minimal fuss. Just be sure to remove it before the epoxy primer as it will not have the same longterm adhesive qualities as the epoxy.

not that it really matters at this point, but if im looking at the pictures right, i think the "patch" is actually the original quarter, and the upper section a replacement... was the car red to begin with, or green? if this is the case, you need to seal the panels from the back...notice how water running down the inside of the quarter is scooped into the welded joint? not a good thing!

I'm pretty the sure original color is red, most of the other panels underneath are red. The green is most definately not the original, it has a lot of runs and blending in areas. The part about leaking I noticed too, I think a major part of that problem is due to the poor seal between the rear quarter window and the outside of the body. My plan is to get a new patch welded in there, I talked to a local body shop today about it and they said they could do it no problem. My welding skill is limited and I don't have a welder either. In fact the first time I attempted welding, I electricuted myself within 20 minutes, haha. The rust on the inside of the quarter panel appears to just be surface rust, I was just worried about it getting worse if I leave it as is.