Impressed by the 97GT...

bhuff30

Founding Member
Dec 11, 2001
Olathe KS
As some of you may know, I have a 97GT which I'm using for a daily driver. I still have the 88, but it needs some significant work before becoming road worthy again, much less track worthy.

She is a 97GT in burnt orange with 115k miles on the clock. It is dead stock to the paper filter, 6 cats, silient muffler and 3.23 gears. I took her to the track tonight, knowing it is in good tune from the attention she has gotten.

Second run out, I ran a 14.675 @ 93.98mph with a moderately good 2.241 60' time. That was in full street trim, with 32psi tire pressure all around, spare tire and subwoofer in the trunk.

After that run, I pulled the spare tire, sub, added some pressure in the front tires for less rolling resistance, and waited for the cooler air to come in from nightfall. When I got back to the track, my favorite left lane had turned into an oil slick, and I could only muster some ****ty arse 2.5 60's :puke: , but my trap speed rose to 94.8mph with a sorry overall time.

On the last run, I finnally got the right lane, but was expecting bad tire spin, and ended up bogging 60' a bit wth a 2.3 for an overall [email protected]. My gas gauge showed empty and time was running out, so I packed up and went home without pursuing a better time. However, I really had to question the track prep considering I was getting a nice bark from the powershift to 3rd.

Overall, I'm very please with the pig. Makes me wonder how it'd run with an O/R H pipe. hehe. For now, a PI swap is out of question.

p10100728ae8vt.jpg

Attachments

• p10100728ae8vt.jpg
    p10100728ae8vt.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 64
  • Sponsors (?)

The 2.3 ate another rod bearing on the #1. I replaced it a while ago, so this is the 2nd time. This time, I have a reman crank .25mm under to go in. I'm also trying to build a new head for it. The head I've been running has way too much compression, because I origionally built it for NA. I'm probbaly around 9.5:1, but I was still able to get about 15psi with my water injection running. hehe. That, and the high CR head must not be very flat, because it likes blowing head gaskets.
So basically drop in my crank and get the fresh head finished, and I'll be running again. I'm really lazy about porting it though...

tealtiger93 said:
I drove a '97 4.6 a while back with CAI, O/R X, huge tires, 70mm TB, blah blah blah and it made me want to sell the 2.3 for a while. That burnt orange looks sweet!

What's wrong with the 2.3?