Installed Coil-Overs....Problem

speedytang

Founding Member
Jul 28, 1999
Marengo,Ohio,US
I installed coil overs today on my '89 Hatch. The pictures/instructions really did not show anything that would be a problem but the text had special directions if you are NOT using Camber plates. I did what was said in the instruction but ran into a problem on the passenger side. On the passenger side the tire rubs the coil spring but on the driver side I have at least 1/2" of clearance. It rubs the tire even when suspended and no weight on the suspension or when put on the ground. The a-arm bushings seem to be fine and the lower ball joint seems fine. The upper strut mount is not damaged and the car has never been in a wreck and everything has always been perfect on tire wear and alignment is dead on. If I measure from the fender down with a string then take measurements out from the strut, knuckle and rotor surface to the string the driver and passenger side is dead on to each other. This is the strangest thing I have ever seen. I am using the 5-lug Lincoln rotors but no problem on drivers side and like I said everything measures equal side to side. I did not try rotating tires because I just thought of that while typing this and maybe my tire sidewall is that far out on the inside, but would not think so. IF you read this and think. ..Wacky and you are using coil overs on stock style struts could you take pictures of the install with the tire off so I can put the picture in AutoCAD and get measurements to compare with my car. Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

You probably just need wheels with less backspacing. I run skinnys on the front so I never ran into that issue but if the alignment is right on, all you can do is go less backspacing or possibly a narrower tire to give you some clearance. Might even think about a good quality set of spacers. Don't run the cheapo spacers though.