Intake Tweaking for better power and fuel mileage...

..Ok, so I have the stock intake arm on my 93 LX. It it the huge black tube that is ugly as all hell. I took it off earlier only to find that theres about a 1" and a half hole for airflow when the intake is like 4 inches around. I was told to use PVC pipe instead for better airflow and purchase a K&N filter for it. Should I use the PVC pipe idea? If so, how big of pipe will I need? I'm thinking 2 and a half inch pipe.

• Sponsors (?)

pvc is the cheapest and easiest route to go. Measure the diameter of the T/B opening, and then try to get pvc with same inside dimensions.

K&N is the route to go for an air filter. There are always people who will tell you how bad or what a rip off they are, but IMO its money very well spent.

Read the Tech sticky at the top of the 2.3 tech page. I belive there are a couple threads with how-to's for making Pvc intakes.

Willy0314 said:
pvc is the cheapest and easiest route to go. Measure the diameter of the T/B opening, and then try to get pvc with same inside dimensions.

K&N is the route to go for an air filter. There are always people who will tell you how bad or what a rip off they are, but IMO its money very well spent.

Read the Tech sticky at the top of the 2.3 tech page. I belive there are a couple threads with how-to's for making Pvc intakes.
Sweet. Thanks for the help man. :nice:

Willy0314 said:

Ok, so I compared a 2" PVC pipe I had cut to the throttle body. Same exact size. I removed the old "airbox" or whatever you wanna call it and installed the PVC pipe. The clamps had to be tightened down pretty tight to get around this pipe properly and the rubber on the tubing slightly wrinkled a bit but I think I'm good. It should give me a reasonable amount of more airflow over the tiny stock hole that was on there. :)

NakedRaygun said:
PVC is real cost effective. I'd go with a 3" with an elbow that funnels into the size of the TB. I'd buy a gutted upper and kife-edged lower intake from 40bob. They are pretty cheap and will give you an extra "umph"
I don't know about buying an intake just yet because my uncle and I have ported and polished the upper and lower intake on a four banger of his and he's thinking of giving me the intake because he's ditching the 2.3T of his because he thinks it's a pain in the ass. But he also rigged up a Thunderbird SC throttle body to fit on a four banger Mustang so I'll be picking that up too. If not, I'll check out the intakes this guy has. :)

NakedRaygun said:
Just get the 2.3T off of him..either trade cars or motors ;)

We can give you plenty of support here for you to get it running right.
**** that man! LOL That 2.3 of his is a bitch to maintain and it's always got something wrong with it. Not to mention it doesn't have forged internals. He turboed a N/A engine, but he did get 180 HP and 264 ft. lbs of torque out of it. Suprised it hasn't blown to pieces yet.