intake works on stock heads but not others, could it be warped

dastang2

Dec 11, 2003
tx
the intake worked good on the stock heads but when i put on a set of worked e7's it leaked around the mating surfaces. i am tq'ing the intake according to the manual i have. if i tighten everthing up and then untighten one side of bolts, the other side of bolts are all loose as in i can take them all off by hand. it does not leak water into the oil by what i can tell but not very sure. is it possible that the intake is warped a little and worked on the old heads but won't work on the new heads i have. the car won't run right for crap.

• Sponsors (?)

You have to tighten the intake bolts gradually in several cycles until you reach the final torque of 22-24ft lbs. It's normal for some to be loose after tightening others. You have to repeat the process as many times as necessary until that stops happening. Sometimes you have to go over them 10 or more times to get them all torqued to spec

he ussually mills heads between .004-.008. not enough to hurt anything. i do have to use shims under the stock rockers and f cam though to keep the valves right though. all the holes line up perfectly. i do tq it in steps. and all the bolts get tight. what i was meaning is, after they are tight, i can take one side of bolts loose and the other side will be finger loose again.