Interesting update from Tremec

limp

wrap a little cheese around it and its a done
Oct 4, 2020
Florida
Sent a comment to Tremec about using Mobil 1 or Amsoil Syn ATF fluid in my TKX. Previously they had recommended dexron III/Mercon, and I wanted to ask them about using a synthetic fluid instead....
This time they recommended a " synchromesh" fluid ......

Last edited:
  • Sponsors (?)

Interesting! That seems like the new "go-to" for performance transmissions now. Did they say anything about adding friction modifier?

I've been running Royal Purple in my Z-spec T5 since I opened it up in 2010 to change the speedo drive gear. A colleague who works in heavy machinvery transmission development made the recommendation and I never would have believed it made a big difference, but it shifts noticeably smoother.

Interesting! That seems like the new "go-to" for performance transmissions now. Did they say anything about adding friction modifier?

I've been running Royal Purple in my Z-spec T5 since I opened it up in 2010 to change the speedo drive gear. A colleague who works in heavy machinvery transmission development made the recommendation and I never would have believed it made a big difference, but it shifts noticeably smoother.
No, their comments are pretty brief....
Nothing against Royal Purple, but its ONE of the fluids tremec has not tested in their transmissions, at least not since I last checked..... T5 specs and TKO/TKX/Magnum take different fluids....

Heres the kicker for me...They say if you're not racing them its a fill for life deal....It can't possibly be a fill for life transmission if theres a break-in procedure...LOL

The instructions I got with mine say to break them in for 1500 miles with Dexron-MerconIII than drain and swap out to Syncromesh but doesnt state which brand is preferrable for maintaining the warranty.....

When I called about preferred Synchromesh brand they told me to use Tremec HP-MTF..When you read the MTF information it shows all of the brands its supposed to replace so like others have stated it varies.................LOL

High quality transmission fluid suitable for use in any TREMEC transmission. Available in single quarts or 4-quart cases, enough for a full oil change on Magnum, TKO, T-56 or T-5 TREMEC. Check your capacities. Intended for use in manual transmissions that require GL4 75W85 MTF, synchromesh, or DEXRON®-III/MERCON® fluids. Not compatible with automatic transmissions or hypoid gear differentials.

• Improved load carrying capabilities at all temperature
  • Stable viscosity
  • Engineered for Magnum, TKO, T-56 or T-5 TREMEC transmissions
  • Provides good shift performance in cold temperatures
  • Compatible with yellow metals and carbon lined synchronizer materials
  • Improved dynamic seals performance and reduces leaks
  • Excellent wear protection at high temperatures

The part that throws me off a lil is the high temperature protection part..I have a temp gauge on my TKO600 and it reads 66 celsius on the highway which is about 150 farenheit...

I ended up using dexron 3 in my gear box...Not running yet though... " its a hobby" .... LOL....
After re reading this I do want to stress that while the TKO models took syncromesh, the TKX and T56 do not.... At least thats what I read...