Is it safe to hose down the engine?

I'm going to clean the engine bay today. Wondering if spraying it down will cause damage.

I've heard many methods such as:

- have the engine warm
- spray down with water and tire foam
- close engine for 20-30 min.
- wipe clean with cloth

I'm just worried because I'm bringing the car down to college tom. and if I **** up something, I'm screwed.

• Sponsors (?)

Just don't use the high pressure nossle on the hose... I have rinsed off every engine I have ever had... A lot of times I will dampen it, wash items with the car wash, then take the nossel off the hose and rinse it all away... never had any problems.

Normally the engine is cold... I figure this is no worse than driving in the rain... Just try not to hose electronics... but to get bugs, sand, and crap out of there it works wonders...

I usually go over the whole engine bay with a good degreaser (on a cold engine), leave it for 15 minutes, then hose it off with a regular spray nozzle (low pressure). The only things I try to avoid are the alternator and distributor, and if you have an open air filter element like on a CAI you sould but a plastic bag over it. For a nice finishing touch go to a parts store and get a can of "engine finish", its like a clearcoat that you can spray over everything, makes all your hoses, wires and everything else look like new again.

before:
IMGP1973.jpg

after:
n513941181_94213_9144.jpg

Attachments

• IMGP1973.jpg
    IMGP1973.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 64
Thanks for tips Stephane. I'll go ahead and buy some degreaser later this afternoon. Just finished spraying down the engine with water and tire foam and it's looking great already. Wiped it down with a clean towel.

I don't know how they got there but there were penut shells under the upper manifold. :rlaugh: