Just FYI - apparently I made a HUGE low end gain from 2500rpm up with LT's.

• Sponsors (?)

Good to hear the swap was worth while! I bet your overall curve numbers greatly improved. Now sell your old stuff to recomp some of the cost.

Btw, bigger parts making more low end? No way ;)

HEhe. You were right GRn. :) Glad I went long tubes.

Ok, now for summary:
Torque:
@3000RPM I jumped from 340rwtq to 400rwtq and hold over 400rwtq thru 5500rpm! I am over 300rwtq as low as 2500rpm. Peaks at 442rwtq.

HP:
@3200rpm my rwhp jumped from 210 to 250. Thats a huge difference down low where I wanted it. I have 400 rwhp up to about 6000rpm. Peaks at 421rwhp.

Notes:
If I ever wanted to go higher I would go AFR 225 and a larger cam and porting. However, I'm done for a long time.

I now BLOW OFF the tires in first at any rpm. Second barely holds on at ANY rpm.

Corsa Mufflers:
Almost ZERO drone and quiet rumble in the background. You can barely hear it. BUT and this is a HUGE but...When you all out floor it, lol, it SCREEEEAAAAMMMMSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! like two harleys, at tractor trailer and minibike. You can hear the car for literally miles away. I like it! Then it goes back to quiet. Its a bi-polar muffler.

Probably $13,000-15000 rough estimate drive-train alone done RIGHT. People do not realize to eek the extra 50rwhp out of the big engine you have to spend some bucks. It is not just plop in an engine for 5-6k, you need to sure the body up, you need a trans to support it, you want good top end? you need big $$ parts, period. Long tubes install $1200, long tubes and accessories to put on $1000, engine $6000, trans $2000, suspension $$?, Brakes to STOP it, ... etc.

Want to go power adder? Sure, same deal, and it will all add up. Getting used parts? Not me..no guarantees. All new. Take short cuts for less? sure...maybe watch your car blow up. PA to old engine? sure...not me, I wanted new everything so I dont have to worry.

It goes on.. want no drone? $400 mufflers. Want traction? Get new tires $600, panhard bar $400, lcas..sway bars, tq boxes welded...labor $$. Am I upset? No. its money thron in from other cars and recycled. But I had no idea how much.

Does anyone else think that this is an odd thing for one male to ask another? :rlaugh:

how low do they hang?
:eek:

And then it's followed up with:

you about ready to meet up sometime?
:nonono:

Of course Geek not really knowing how they hang is a bit troublesome, as well. :rlaugh:

Just kidding guys. I'm sure you're both VERY masculine, manly dudes. :nice:

Geek, congrats on getting your car going. You and Black have both been through the ringer when it comes to getting your big inch Windsors in and sorted out. I'm glad they are. I will probably start the same project in the next year or so. It's good to know what I'm in for.

Enjoy!

Yep..then you start thinking..hmmm. bigger cam woulda gotten me "x" rwhp...hmm...spyder intake "x" more hp...bigger heads.. .. turbo...blah blah on and on ,lol. I am stopping here for a good while. Its a give and take..

Originally 1.625" shorties made for the cobra 351R model INTO 2.5" H-pipe INTO flowmaster 50 series delta flow -> to 1.875 Primarys INTO 3" collector INTO 3" h-pipe then INTO 2.5" corsa mufflers and into 2.25-2.5" catback (for some reason it measure a little less than 2.5" . I could get a couple more going 2.5" but I dont care. I'm done.

Probably $13,000-15000 rough estimate drive-train alone done RIGHT. People do not realize to eek the extra 50rwhp out of the big engine you have to spend some bucks. It is not just plop in an engine for 5-6k, you need to sure the body up, you need a trans to support it, you want good top end? you need big $$ parts, period. Long tubes install $1200, long tubes and accessories to put on $1000, engine $6000, trans $2000, suspension $$?, Brakes to STOP it, ... etc.

Want to go power adder? Sure, same deal, and it will all add up. Getting used parts? Not me..no guarantees. All new. Take short cuts for less? sure...maybe watch your car blow up. PA to old engine? sure...not me, I wanted new everything so I dont have to worry.

It goes on.. want no drone? $400 mufflers. Want traction? Get new tires $600, panhard bar $400, lcas..sway bars, tq boxes welded...labor $$. Am I upset? No. its money thron in from other cars and recycled. But I had no idea how much.

Thanks for being so honest. I know when my motor goes I was thinking of this route but knew it was big $$ but I didn't realize that big... For me I think a puny 331 will be in my future....

Nothing wrong with that man. Unless you are a fluke or working with a funky dyno, most cars are putting out close to 1 to 1 ratio - streetable. So mild cam would get you close to 331rwhp (roughly 400whp!) or heavier cam/heads for more rwhp. My cam is a little rough but bearable for me.. I could have gone softer if I wanted more streetable but then I would be lower on HP. I think I picked it just about right.

The 331 will put out more low end than the 302 and build some nice HP. So if somebody with a 302 puts out same power as your 331 with bigger cam, they still wont have the nice low end bell curve you do. You can use the stock trans, no need for tq boxes, or upgraded suspension necessarily. You dont need special headers like me, use existing parts, blah blah and that right there would save you like..$6k? Now if you beef it up and it gets into High HP, then you can break stuff and need to get supporting mods for reliablility.

Thanks guys. Apparently it goes into a 2.25" catback lol so its not full but close.. Yea I am over my 1 to 1 ratio (422 out of 414) and that was much better efficiency than my 302 with trick flow heads (290). So I am real happy. Again, does she have more? Yep. I could go spyder, afr 225, bigger cam and I bet geat right close to 500rwhp but....enough is enough. I reached my goal, I've got incredible low end and it #$%^ing takes off. :)

Thanks guys. Apparently it goes into a 2.25" catback lol so its not full but close.. Yea I am over my 1 to 1 ratio (422 out of 414) and that was much better efficiency than my 302 with trick flow heads (290). So I am real happy. Again, does she have more? Yep. I could go spyder, afr 225, bigger cam and I bet geat right close to 500rwhp but....enough is enough. I reached my goal, I've got incredible low end and it #$%^ing takes off. :)

The farther back the restriction, the better.

I really would have thought you would have made more.

I am quite certain that 99% of mustang enthusiast would not believe that those 1.625" headers would make more power than a larger diameter header. :shrug:

On your engine, it was VERY MUCH needed. :)

For the most part, from what I have experienced and seen, the vast improvement in torque came from the LT design, and the +10 RWHP/RWTQ difference throughout, came from the diameter design.

Off to throw on 2.000" headers on my 6,000 RPM 302, because the bigger the better...:eek: