Just purchased nitto DR's have questions

kevsstang

Mar 21, 2004
pa
I ordered 245-50-16 DR's and am hoping to get to the track on Saturday weather permitting for a test and tune session. Now how should i or shouldn't i do a burn out? Go through water box or not. What tire pressure should i start out with. How should i launch and 5000 is out of the question? i want to drive the car back home :D . I plan on keeping the car set up the same and just try to improve times by changing shift points or launch rpm. thanks for the info.

kev

• Sponsors (?)

you just made the biggest mistake, those tires suck and everyone whos making power agrees, i had them and was doing a 2.22 60 ft, went out and bought MT street Et's and went down to 1.70 my stock tires hook better than those nittos they just look cool, if u want a set that have 18 runs for a $100 bux there urs there like new, but honestly go get ur self some real slicks save urself the headach ur gonna be dissapointed at the track like i was, if u got the tires already i feel sorry for u just wasted ur money but good luck!

5lterchvyeater said:
you just made the biggest mistake, those tires suck and everyone whos making power agrees, i had them and was doing a 2.22 60 ft, went out and bought MT street Et's and went down to 1.70 my stock tires hook better than those nittos they just look cool, if u want a set that have 18 runs for a $100 bux there urs there like new, but honestly go get ur self some real slicks save urself the headach ur gonna be dissapointed at the track like i was, if u got the tires already i feel sorry for u just wasted ur money but good luck!

Do you know what your talking about?...Nitto Dr's are a great street and track tire...especially since they'll get 2-3x more than your MT street Et's...and safer at that...

Plenty of people get 1.7-1.8 60fts with those tires...you obviously didn't use your Dr's to their ability...

kevsstang - You got a some nice numbers from your combo...your mph should be higher though (around 106 or so)...where are you shifting at...?

I plan on getting Nitto Dr's as you did :nice:

If i remember it was between 5000-5500 on a stock tach. Not power shifting but more of a speed shifting. That is what MPH i thought 2, but i was bogging going to 2nd. I think i was letting off in 1st when it was spinning so much then shifting to 2nd.

Just keep in mind that they are not slicks, and it usually take a bit of finesse to get good 60's out of them (as will any tire besides slicks, et streets or slick like bfg's).

My personal technique is to drive throuh or back into the water box (backing in preferred), and doing a nice 5-7 second long smokey 2nd gear burnout (not in the waterbox). After I count those 5-7 seconds (it seems longer than what it really is), I'll roll out of the burnout, still in second gear...until she starts to bog.

I dont drop or sidestep the clutch. I leave at around 4k rpms feathering the clutch/throttle. With my technique mastered, I can cut consistant mid-low 1.8 60's with the occasional dip into the 1.7's. With enough practice you can turn what would be a bad 60' into a high 1.8.

I just thought of something. the last time at the track with street tires i did a 2nd gear burnout and my dad said that only one tire was spinning. Is that a beginning to a problem with the rear or is that normal. I started in first then shifted to second.

kevsstang said:
I just thought of something. the last time at the track with street tires i did a 2nd gear burnout and my dad said that only one tire was spinning. Is that a beginning to a problem with the rear or is that normal. I started in first then shifted to second.

Either your standing on the brakes to hard doing your burnout, or you rear end clutches are going out. If it's the latter, chances are your not going to get a very good 60' as most of your traction is going to go to one wheel due to your rear end not locking. They are fairly easy to replace, and not very expensive either.

5lterchvyeater said:
not sure what kinda power your making, but i pulled my best ever 60ft(which by NO means is even good)of 1.96 with Nittos and im making 500RWHP, yeah ET streets, BFG's and the other available cheater tires ARE better, but the Nittos are an awesome all around tire IMHO. and yes do a burnout till you get a nice haze of smoke, the pressure is gonna take experimenting as well as the launch RPM, try 16psi and 3000 to start.

Scott

kevsstang said:
not to sound like a total idiot but what would i be replacing. Sorry that i ask several questions but none of my friends are really into mustangs.

It's alright, here is a link to a fms rebuild kit----> Fms Rebuild kit

As far as tire pressure goes, as blown1989saleen said, it will take some fine tuning.

I personally start off at 18lbs cold, and adjust up or down from there.

Nittos are a waste of money?? WTF..they are probubly the best all around street/drag tire out...even when its wet out they get desent traction...for a car that dose alot of street driving and hits the track here and there you cant beat the nittos

DemonGT said:
Nittos are a waste of money?? WTF..they are probubly the best all around street/drag tire out...even when its wet out they get desent traction...for a car that dose alot of street driving and hits the track here and there you cant beat the nittos

I agree with you man :nice:

I just think some peoples expectations are way to high. It's not a slick, so you cant launch like it's a slick unless your running some bfg's on 15" wheels with monster sidewalls.

Nitto DR's are great tires, I have a few friends w/ them and they like them alot. I plan on getting some myself when the funds are avaible. People who bash nittos like the newb w/ the post obove just dont know how to do a burn out w/ them to make them work to there potential.