Kenne Bell question

RTRMustangGT

Sep 30, 2004
What kind of boost pressure can you run on a 4.6 GT with 91 octane pump gas? Will you be able to run the 14psi kit on the 91 octane? If so what kind of horsepower can you get?

• Sponsors (?)

Uhh Kenne Bell states to run nothing lower than 92.

I'm sure you could get by & all but you'll have to back you timing down so low what's the point of even having a super charger then :rlaugh:

Ray@VSK said:
Because you have to feed that air otherwise your motor will spark knock & blow up the motor, you have to retard timing to prevent detonation aswell.

yeah i know that already. the question is for RTRMustangGT.

if KB recommends 93+ then don't put less in. simple.

Ray@VSK said:
Uhh Kenne Bell states to run nothing lower than 92.

KB's chips are set to run on 91 octane. If you have access to 93-94 then you may be able to run 10# safely. Ken told me that I would be able to, but the extra power is just not worth the risk of an engine in pieces.

Yes, Kenne Bell kits are designed to run on 91. Every additional 1psi need 1.5 octane. So if the 9# intercooled kit is designed for 91 then it would take 100 octane race fuel for a 14# kit. on a stock bottom end with the stock compression.

Saleen s281 said:
...93 octane 14psi 488rwhp and 502 rwtq

Are you seeing 14psi or is it that you are running a 14 psi pulley? With stage 3 heads, big cams, and headers you'd get substantially less actual boost pressure than with a stock long block running the same pulley. Your getting the same airflow as 14psi but with less actual (heat causing) boost pressure, so it's understandable that you can use 93 octane. I've never seen Kenne Bell claim to run 14psi on 93 octane or less on a stock longblock.

Nevertheless you've got yourself a nice setup :hail2: .

Heck even 9PSI KB units are killing the stock low end...I would NOT recommend putting a KB on a 2V with stock lowend....built is the only way to go with those IMO.Then you have a killer combo. EDIT: Saleen S281, your trap is kinda low for all that work...maybe it isnt, but it seems you should be well over 120 with all that power.Traction problems?

Hopefully I don't hijak this, but doesn't it kind of depend on where you live as to the octane requirement. I live kind of at a high elevation and premium here is only 1 point higher than the regular gas I buy at my parents place which is at alot lower elevation. Premium there is like 3-4 points higher.

Ibeyorsuperman said:
I ran my GT with stock internals on 12psi on 91 octane.. the KB tune is pretty good
:eek: Isn't that pushing the envelope? I run 10 psi full time with 93 octane. Just got the 11 psi pulley but will use it only at the track with 100 octane gas. I have a friend with a Vortech @ 14 psi on stock internals....my guess is that he is on borrowed time.

hotmustang331 said:
Heck even 9PSI KB units are killing the stock low end...I would NOT recommend putting a KB on a 2V with stock lowend....built is the only way to go with those IMO.

I encourage you to sit down with Ken Christley at Kenne Bell.

You can state your beliefs and assumptions, and he'll give you the facts.

KB have been building blowers for nearly 30 years....there is no problem running their 6-9psi kits on stock internals. If there was, they wouldn't be selling them to car owners.