Lifters need help

stevesLX

Nov 12, 2006
cincinnati
My car has been sitting for a day in a half now and tonight I was trying to mess with my valve train. I have a 303F cam hydraulic roller lifters and pedastal no adjustable rockers. On several of valves everytime I would go to tighten down my rocker arm the valve would start to open. I know I am on the base circle. All of my other ones not a problem at all. And on everysingle one of these that the valve starts to open the lifters act as if they are still pumped up. All the other ones you can effortlessly just push in on the pushrod and they go down and spring right back up. I have at least 6 of them that dont though. And like I said the car has been sitting for a day in a half. A few of these that acted like they were still pumped up I had the rockers off of them for at least 45 minutes and they were no different. I dont want go buying parts I dont need so any help would be appreciated.:bang:

• Sponsors (?)

My car has been sitting for a day in a half now and tonight I was trying to mess with my valve train. I have a 303F cam hydraulic roller lifters and pedastal no adjustable rockers. On several of valves everytime I would go to tighten down my rocker arm the valve would start to open. I know I am on the base circle. All of my other ones not a problem at all. And on everysingle one of these that the valve starts to open the lifters act as if they are still pumped up. All the other ones you can effortlessly just push in on the pushrod and they go down and spring right back up. I have at least 6 of them that dont though. And like I said the car has been sitting for a day in a half. A few of these that acted like they were still pumped up I had the rockers off of them for at least 45 minutes and they were no different. I dont want go buying parts I dont need so any help would be appreciated.:bang:

That's normal. As long as you're sure you're on the base circle of the cam go ahead and tighten them down. If a valve opens slightly, the valve spring will eventually bleed down the lifter to where it needs to be. The ones you said push down easy were probably open when the engine was shut off which bled them down.

Thats cool and all but I had the rockers off the ones that were wanting to keep pushing the valves open when on the base circle for 45minutes to an hour and still no bleed down. How long should it take for these to bleed down?

Thats cool and all but I had the rockers off the ones that were wanting to keep pushing the valves open when on the base circle for 45minutes to an hour and still no bleed down. How long should it take for these to bleed down?

You said you had the rockers off for 45 minutes to an hour. They won't bleed down with the Rockers off. It takes the pressure from the valve spring with the valve open to bleed them down.

O.K. I appreciate it. I am brand new to all this. I would like to talk to you a little bit more on this. I have been fighting with this for a week now. If its cool with you can you PM me and give me your # and I will call you.